or Connect

Posts by farmer mama

Learning to trim hooves was pretty hard for me as well. You definitely need hoof trimmers! www.fiascofarm.com has a great page about how to trim hooves. It is really important to stay on top of hoof trimming so don't give up! I would try to offer the goats some grain and either do it on the milking stand or secure them with a short leash. With a really determined goat I put two leashes on and secure it to a fence so their head is still, and then use my body to hold...
Definitely more libertarian than Mother Earth News and lots of gun articles as well, so be prepared if that isn't your thing. I love Jackie Clays articles, she is very experienced. I think MEN is great for inspiration, beautiful photos, and more liberal politics, but when it comes down to some of the nitty-gritty homesteading details, I like BWH.
I wash all our laundry with a washboard. I love the glass ones from Lehman's but the metal ones work well and are inexpensive. For hand washing laundry I find that long soaking times help, and I often lay really soiled clothes over the washboard and then scrub with a scrub brush. I use a ringer and galvanized wash tubs outside when it is nice out, but sometimes just use the sink. I use the bath tub for comforters! I make my own laundry soap with grated soap, washing...
I like the website www.sharonastyk.com She writes a lot about food storage, the economy, climate change, and peak oil. If the other stuff isn't your cup of tea you can still look at her food storage info. I think the basic tenant of food storage is to "store what you eat, eat what you store", i.e. store the foods you family eats, then eat out of your storage so you are constantly rotating through your storage. We by in bulk so we buy 6 months worth of grains, beans,...
For the basics I like Storey's Basic Country Skills and The Encyclopedia of country living. Barnyard to Backyard is a good, general farm animal book. For all the individual farm animals I like Storey's Guide to Raising (Chickens, Dairy Goats, Pigs, etc). Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carrol is my favorite cheese making book. For bees I mainly like Beekeeping for Dummies and Natural Beekeeping. HTHs.
LOL! I actually use a computer at my local library about once a week. It makes it hard to active on MDC. Even though our solar power is capable of running a computer, I find them to be a total time drain so we don't have one in our home. That's just me though. I think for a lot of people living off grid or remote is very isolating so the computer brings virtual community as well as being a great resource. Also it is relatively simple to hook up a laptop with net access...
We are unable to get the bigger rebates because we installed our system ourselves and are not grid-tied. But I do know some people who are very pleased with the rebates and with the power company buying some of their solar power. We still get state (OR) tax rebates for passive solar and having a clean burning woodstove.
Is the issue the no pants when it's cold or having to run out to the out house? We just used a small baby potty in the room with us. In cold weather (but not as cold as you are talking! Indoor room temps were around 40-50 degrees in the daytime unless they were staying toasty by the woodstove) I had my bare bottomed baby in the house with a hat, slippers, long socks or leg warmers and a long sweater so the indoor cold temps were not an issue. I have also found that the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadystar Another Q for you FM! I too have a very small chest freezer (though I think it is only a C rating), it was here when we moved in and the previous owner had modified to be a fridge. We have never used it as such, but a freezer would sure be useful. We have recently updated our PV setup, we have 720w of panels and months of uninterrupted sun to come. Is this is anyway comparable with what you are running? I´m a bit too...
Quote: Originally Posted by enfpintj Farmer mama, do you have a fridge? What do you do for hot water? Thanks. I have a super efficient chest freezer that runs off our solar and just rotate frozen water packs in a cooler to keep leftovers and goats milk fresh. With all the fresh animal products and year-round food in the garden and cold-frame we don't need a big fridge. Our hot water is from a on-demand propane heater. We plan to do a DIY...