or Connect

Posts by farmer mama

Our off grid solar set up was around $4000, which seems like a lot but our inverter was $2000, and we have 2 panels, a battery bank, charge controller and all the other gizmos. It provides enough power to run conservative household lighting, a CD player, a bathroom fan and a well pump. We heat with wood and have a small passive solar strawbale house so heating is easy. To run grid power to our site would be around $15,000, so DIY solar was an easy choice. We get all...
It isn't a huge deal to have maggots, and they can be common in a tumbler. It sounds like your bin is too moist and needs more oxygen and lots of carbon material. Dry straw, dry leaves, wood chips, sawdust etc will work. It a pinch I would take shredded or strips of newspaper (make sure the ink is lead-free) to help get the bin back in balance. Also agriculture lime can be sprinkled on to kill the maggots. If you salt or pour hot water you will kill all the good...
I do my laundry with the double wash tubs and wringer from Lehman's. I use either a rapid washer (laundry plunger) or a wash board for agitation. I do laundry by hand because we don't have a washing machine or the power to run one. It takes a lot longer but I do it in smaller batches to keep it under control. It is easier than lugging bags of laundry into town. I think the key to handwashing is really long soaking time. Now that I don't have any diapers and my...
I love all the books recommended by the pps. Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats is a great book for starters, and I love Goat Husbandry and Natural Goat Care. They are more in depth and can be a little overwhelming, but they are great resources.
Quote: Originally Posted by amyamanda Where are you located, if you don't mind saying? I am in Oregon, it the wetter, warmer Western part of the state, about zone 7. I know, I'm spoiled with a nice long growing season. We do get snow and freezing temps as I am in the foothills of the Cascade mountains, but nothing like you northern ladies. With the oil lamps I put them high out of my toddler's reach but the older kids have been seriously...
Wow, I forgot about this thread! I remember reading this thread right before we took the plunge and bought our land and feeling like at least there are other people out there who have lived unusual lifestyles with kids. Hope you all don't mind me butting in with my story. Right now we live off grid and have for the last three years. We have built completely by ourselves a small strawbale house with a homemade composting toilet and woodstove heat. The home is passive...
My MIL (who is actually pretty great) always thinks the various slings are cutting off my babies circulation, that the CDs make it hard for them to walk, and that for newborns being held up against someone all the time must be so uncomfortable and they must need to stretch out and lie flat. Like I doing all this holding and slinging just for my benefit? And of course if my kids insist on wearing hats in warmer temps it bugs her but if my kids scamper around barefoot in...
We get all our solar stuff from www.backwoodssolar.com There prices are reasonable and the people are great for info. Our system is really simple, not grid-tied and is DIY, but the can help with the whole spectrum. If you are near portland you could call www.mrsunsolar.com.
We have a graywater system (filters through reed beds) and I hand wash our clothes. What I did for poopy diapers is soak and prewash them separately in my bucket and dump the waste water in our humanure (DIY composting toilet system) bin, with lots of extra sawdust, wood chips or leaves to keep the pile from getting too wet. Pee diapers are fine for greywater and actually pee is good for greywater irriagation (lots of nitrogen which greywater usually lacks). So maybe you...
I really enjoyed this book. He packed a lot of different elements into the book and I especially liked the raw milk and seasonal food chapters. I am also a huge fan of his wild fermentation book. About the road kill eating, you can get on a list so your county will call if there is a fresh road kill deer reported. I know people who eat them or get road kill so they can tan the hides. As far as e coli, as long as it is fresh and it is butchered and cooked properly I...