or Connect

Posts by farmer mama

We built (or I should say we are still building while we live in) our strawbale house. I designed our home with the help of person who does solar/ strawbale designs. It is a small passive/ active solar, off grid home with a large wrap-around porch with big overhangs (to protect the bales and make outdoor living spaces). The bales are plastered with earthen plasters and the interior walls will be light straw clay or cob, depending on where they are located (straw clay...
This is a very interesting thread. I love the WWCID! I need to put that on my wall, LOL! A book that I really like is Pioneer Women http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Women-...1057586&sr=8-2 It is worth it just to see the amazing pictures.
I did a lot of milking with ds in a mei tai style back carrier, but now he just plays in the goat barn with me while I milk. I always let the does nurse their kids, so I only milk once a day. What about getting a toddler swing (we got a swing set style swing at a Home Depot type store where they sell parts for outdoor playsets) and hanging it in your milking area?
We empty our bucket into a compost tumbler to do the initial breaking down, and then dump it into a strawbale lined compost bin with a tarp to keep the pile from getting too wet. Our mix is sawdust, woodchips, straw, leaves and some kitchen scraps. There is no smell and very little mess because the tumbler empties right into the pile. The trick is to add enough brown material (sawdust) to keep at good, balanced compost pile. It breaks down in only a few months but...
We are using blown cellulose from recycled paper which is very cost effective. Wool is amazing, but expensive unless you make your own. I have considered getting some substandard fleeces and making my own wool insulation after our final inspection. Also you can use straw but I would be careful about vapor barriers to deal with condensation. One of our goat barns has a living roof.
Quote: Originally Posted by p1gg1e nak My parents have the ringer washer double tub one from Lehman's ...the ringer isn't going on the way it should .. mom doesn't like it....says she would look for a better ringer. I didn't like the way my wringer attached to the tubs so dh mounted it in some wood next to the clothesline. As far as ruining buttons, I usually just loosen the wringer or am just really careful.
I don't have the Lehman's hand washing machine because of the cost, but I would love one. My set up is two metal washtubs at waist height with a hand wringer. It looks like this http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=4071 I either use a washboard and a scrub brush, or a laundry plunger http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=2758. The wringer is essential to me especially in the winter to get as much moisture out of the clothes as possible. I have...
We lived in one of their domes. It was beautiful, but during a rain storm it suddenly lost it's waterproofing! I heard about a few other situations like ours but hopefully by now they have worked out whatever the problem was.
We have an off grid homestead in Oregon. We grow veggies, berries, fruits, nuts, etc and raise dairy goats, chickens, ducks and bees. We are hoping to start raising sheep this year. We have built our little strawbale house by ourselves ( a few friends have helped for work parties). Dh works a job 3/4 of the year, but has summers to work on the land. I am home with the kids and sell and barter to produce, eggs and honey. I run the garden, care for animals, harvest,...
We don't have a computer so I haven't posted in a while but I wanted to share that we are building a strawbale house and the bales are up, we have moved in, I have tons of earthen plastering to do but we are so excited! All of our stuff is out of storage, the kids have their own beds (except the baby of course), and the space feels great. We have been living for 2 years in a space that is 240 square ft with about a third of that being a loft space that you can't stand up...