or Connect

Posts by farmer mama

I think that with any living on the planet you get into the whole death for life issue, and when you are producing your own food and food for others it becomes very real. I was vegan for years so this issue is a big one for me. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessarily the death part that was the big issue, but the suffering and lack of quality of life that was the biggest problem with dairy and meat for me. Also after spending a great deal of time on organic...
I don't separate my moms and babies. They usually make more than enough milk for all of us. Sometimes as the kid is getting older and eating as well as nursing, I will use first aid tape and tape an X over the nipple at night so I can milk in the morning and then let the kid nurse the all day. But usually we have enough and have at least two in milk to cover any drier times. As far as keeping males, this hasn't come up for us, but I don't have an issue with killing or...
The biggest trick with compost is the "green to brown" ratio and air and moisture levels. The green materials are kitchen scraps (fruits and veggie scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells, avoid animal wastes and oils), and yard waste like grass clippings. Brown is dry material like straw, leaves, wood chips, etc. When ever I add "green", I make sure to add a good covering of "brown". When you start a pile think of doing it in layers and add a little dirt too. The pile needs...
Yep, chickens will destroy a garden. I only let mine in when a bed is being dug. I have ducks that I let patrol the garden for slugs and they are less destructive. I can have perennials around the hens, and they do a great job weeding around them. I think the only solution is to keep the gate secured.
Sounds like you have a great project starting! Being off grid myself, I only access the net about once a week, but I will try to give a quick response. Off grid power- check out backwoods solar. They are really helpful and can help you save money. Right now our system is just a DC system that runs a few lights. When our house is done we will get our inverter to run standard ac power from panels to batteries to inverter to house. We want to keep electricity to a bare...
I would in addition to looking at her diet, I would make sure I was sterilizing the milking pail, strainer and container ( use boiling water) and chill the milk as soon as possible.
Quote: Originally Posted by Progressive_Farmer When we talk about free range, does this mean unfettered access anywhere? Or do they "free range" in large fenced in areas (1/2 acre or more)? If there is no fence, how are they protected them from predators? My free range layers have open, unfettered access and then they are locked in a coop when they go in to roost at night. The "Free range" lable means the chickens are not confined in a...
Strawbale is in the building codes in Oregon, California and the Southwestern states. Our strawbale home is in Oregon and was relatively easy to permit. Other states may approve permits if you fight for it.
In my experience it seems to only take about 3-7 days for chickens to learn to go in their coop at night. If they are really stubborn you can keep them in the coop for three solid days and they should get the idea. I would try putting a "dummy" egg- an egg, ping pong ball, etc in the nest and that should encourage them. HTH
Oh, don't be intimidated! Plants really want to grow and it is quite easy. Where are you located? So you want to do containers...just get pots or boxes that will be big enough and deep enough for your plants (with holes in the bottom for drainage and don't use pressure treated wood), get some good potting soil and some compost (Black Gold is a good brand), put the soil in with some compost and plant what ever starts (little plants rather than seeds, because they are...