or Connect

Posts by farmer mama

Quote: Originally Posted by North_Of_60 As demonstrated by previous posters in this thread, sometimes the only extra effort they could make is to drive 250 miles to a HFS, which is totally unrealistic. Not every community, town, city, state, and country will have the same variables. I just think we need to be careful by making such broad speculations about what other people could do shop totally organic. I am certainly not suggesting people...
Quote: Originally Posted by North_Of_60 I see your point, but it also sort of sounds like you're saying that those who can't afford organic food are in that situation because of poor (to you) choices. That's not fair. No, that isn't what I am saying. I am just saying that for me personally, I am willing to do without non-essentials in order to afford organic foods. I wouldn't judge someone based on what I see in their cart; I would just assume...
Sounds like a great opportunity! I love all the previously mentioned titles and would add Eliot Coleman's The New Organic Grower, excellent for small market gardeners and farmers. The Storey's Guides to raising animals are always good.
Well, you need to be able to get out there twice a day to milk and feed, and extra time for brushing and hoof care, barn or house management, and any health issues like wormers or supplements. Also it is a good idea to have at least two goats because they are herd animals. That said I have milked two goats with a baby by getting a good sling and strapping the baby on while I milked, and then as my baby got older he would sit and play in the hay manger while I milked or he...
I eat and grow all organic. No matter how dire my budget has been organic food has always been a big priority. I do understand that there are some people who really can't afford it, but to me sustainable, healthy food is way more important than new clothes, cell phones, movie rentals, or any other non-essential items people pay for. So often I hear the "organic is so expensive" argument from people who have way higher standards of living than I do, and it is frustrating....
When I was younger many of my friends were these radical eco-warrior types, very strict vegans, did a lot of radical activism... and they all loved camo!
I know, it takes so long and often costs a great deal to get going. I bet once spring comes things will pick up and you will be busy planting. Oh, about acidity- I put either pine needle mulch or sawdust around my blueberries, and I have gotten small bunches of grapes from my new vines. I fly- have you read the book Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden by Lee Reich? That is what started me on my passion for Cornelian Cherries, Beach plums, etc.
We do have running water! We hand pump into a thrity gallon pressurized tank and the pressure is enough to have my sink! I love my hand pump. Dh calls it his homestead fitness gym. I think when the house is done we will do a solar pump or windmill to fill the tank. We do a DIY sawdust composting toilet, a grey water system into reed beds, and wash clothes in a 2 tub washtub with a plunger and wringer. I do wash buckets in the creek though.
I think for us there are so many reasons... -we want to live with less impact on the earth -like heathen mom our spiritual beliefs encourage self-reliance -to know where my food comes from -to provide a form of income while I am home with my kids (and to generate most of our needs so we need less income) -to be prepared in an emergency -to live more in contact with the earth and the seasonal rhythms... but the biggest one of all was to provide a meaningful life and...
Your list looks great. For fencing goats, I have found that a solar electric fence is the most cost effective and easiest to contain the goats, especially our buck. It may seem harsh but you teach them the fence is "hot" once in a small space and then you are set. You can put up fencing to have them graze on brush very quickly and cheaply. Ours was about $200 for the solar fence charger and the wire and holders are very cheap. If you free range your hens that also helps...