or Connect

Posts by farmer mama

I am unclear on how the connection is made from requesting to not be given a certain kind of gift to how graciously you accept one. To me if someone knows what will and won't be appreciated, it will be easier to give something that is sincerely appreciated and used. If you get a junky gift anyways, then of course you accept it graciously and then deal with it later. All I am saying is that if you can find a way to make it clear before the gift is given is a way to avoid...
I am with Niki, just be open, kind and honest and people will most likely understand. We were very clear from the start about our toy philosophies (no plastic, open-ended, etc), so it has never been a big issue. Actually our family prefers that they have some idea about what to get for our kids. I agree with bec and pageta about keeping rules simple. You could post something on your blog as a note to all family members (so SIL isn't singled out) requesting no electronic...
As far as long lasting pants for my rough and tumble kids, carharts can't be beat. We have a few overalls that have been passed down through four kids (my two nephews and then my kids) and they are still holding up great. They are really spendy though, ours were bought by my mom for my nephew 8 years ago, so I think by now the investment has paid off!
I agree with other's suggests about shopping online, also small yarn stores often have sales when you can stock up on some quality yarn. With yarn a lot of the time you get what you pay for, really nice yarn is expensive. I like the Green mountain Spinnery yarns. Good luck on your first major project! I get just nice quality wool and wash it with a good woolwash like Eucalin, but I can see the benefit of using washable wool for a child.
MHL- I'm not sure if you are asking me, but I will try to answer. Seeing how I don't have a no gift rule I am not sure what I would do, but I would assume "no gifts" means no gifts, wooden or otherwise. We have a "one gift" suggestion, so that means that we don't want five beautiful things from the waldorf catalogs, no matter how nice they are. I think having too many "nice" toys is just as bad as having too many "junk" toys, because I think it leads to the kids and moms...
Well, I hear what you are saying but I don't think we are going to see eye to eye on this one. I still think that for me the "things" that come into my kids' lives and how they are disposed of are parenting issues worth consideration. It is not so much not liking the gifts given, but that the gifts given and the quantity are in direct conflict with my parenting values. I actually do impose my beliefs on how my kids should be treated to people who are close to them...
Thanks for sharing OceanMomma, sound like you have a lot going on! I love the way cob garden walls look.
I know it has all been said before, but I think there are two issues here. It sounds to me that girlndoc's real "problem" is that others are not respecting the boundries that she has tried to lay out. The real issue isn't the gifts, but not respecting her wishes regarding gift giving. The other issue that comes up is people giving inappropriate or too many gifts, and I don't feel comfortable dismissing it as petty. Many of the topics here on MDC are about the little...
Thanks for sharing guys! I like to hear all your ideas so I can pick up some new ones. Annethcz- I also keep a garden notebook, it has become a useful tool. I also try to plant primarily what we normally eat; greens, squash, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions, lettuce, etc and add just a little bit of the less used veggies. Chanley- I could always weed and mulch more; I enjoy weeding but it is so easy to fall behind. Daffodil- I think I may try to pinch off the tomatoes...
Bu's mama- thanks for the response. I like how you brought up advocating for my nephew. When he is asked to perform for me I say something like, "He can do that when he feels comfortable" or something like that. My DB doesn't step in for him I think because this was how my dad dealt with him. I wasn't there for the computer testing when he hovered over him and pestered him when he got something wrong (my mom and brother told me about it), but I like the suggestion of just...