or Connect

Posts by mollykatsmom

Me! Me! We have 5 chicks in our first ever flock--1 Golden Comet, 2 Black Sex-Links and 1 RIR. It's been so fun to raise them--they're only 7 weeks old, so we don't know how well they'll lay yet, but so far they are doing a great job prepping my back yard for seeding!
I didn't hate it either time, and was perfectly comfortable physically. Both times, I started getting antsy to see my baby, but not so much I couldn't wait. What I did get sick of was prenatals! I was so tired of driving an hour each way to my midwife's that I jokingly asked my-then-in-utero DS to come so that I could skip my last prenatal. Obliging kid that he is, my water broke that morning!
Easiest : just sub a "buttery spread" for the butter and a nondairy milk for the milk. What I would do: Make a cobbler with a biscuit-type crust. Use oil for the butter (slight texture change, but it works fine), and use peach juice instead of milk for the liquid. Just watch the liquid. When you use oil instead of a solid shortening, you can use less liquid.
You could just keep it as is, but not use it for jam--I had some strawberry freezer jam that never really gelled. I used it as cake filling--made a white cake and dumped it between the layers, and then frosted it with whipped cream. It tasted like summer, which is really nice in January! It was also great on pancakes and waffles.
I vent. I am extremely auditory/verbal, so everything has to come out! It is more of a worry-dumping or a blowing off of steam. Like mysticmomma says, sometimes venting over trivial stuff keeps me from blowing it out of proportion. And sometimes venting about big stuff allows me to be the kind of partner to DH that he needs. When I was frustrated about DH's progress in finding a job, I would confide that to my friends, because DH was under enough pressure, and didn't...
Your thread, "Cloth Diapering, Indian Style" got me out of a jam today! I found myself out and about with 8 prefolds and 2 pairs of Dappi pants--no pins, no snappi, no wrap covers (who packed that diaper bag? : ). I was, however, wearing a skirt with a drawstring! I remembered the pictures of your nephew and was able to make it through 3 more hours of errands by adapting your SIL's technique. In fact, it worked so well, I'm thinking of buying some cotton or hemp ribbon...
My life has gotten ever so much easier since we started having a regularly scheduled visit with my MIL. We have dinner once a week, and switch off who cooks. Before we started this, I would have told you that there was no way that I could have handled seeing my MIL that often, but the decrease in drama and stress is SO worth it! She has stopped nagging about when and where she is going to see us, and I have stopped dreading her phone calls. The great thing about...
Do you know any involved fathers that he could talk to? (We didn't before we had kids.) Has he been around a lot of babies? For some reason, folks really focus on feeding as being the ultimate bonding experience, and someone might have made a comment about how he won't be able to feed the baby if you bf exclusively, or he might be thinking of "baby tasks" as being confined to feeding, diaper-changing, and bathing. If he can't do the feeding, he's left out of one third of...
Quote: Quote: The baby guru has been advising parents for 22 years and honed her skills while observing animals on her dad's farm. Quote: That says it all. Except that it doesn't. Other than some less-than-gentle weaning, most mammals that I have observed are very solicitous of their young. I've never seen a sheep, dog or cow leave a one or two day old baby to cry by itself! One of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen...
I have to admit that young black men used to make me nervous--in groups. I've never been uncomfortable around anyone as an individual. However, since becoming a teacher (first middle school, now an alternative high school program), I spend my entire day with groups of young black men, some of whom superficially fit every stereotype that the media love to portray. And I love them, and worry about them, and fuss at them, and am more aware than ever of the omnipresent...