or Connect

Posts by kanga2roo

Thank you!
Well, I already did say that yes, I was exploring the idea about giftedness. It felt like the right response at the time. We talked about talents and how everybody has strengths, and we were just learning more about parenting because we want to always be the best parents we can be, etc. It wasn't a big deal to him. We've already learned about multiple intelligences and learning styles.We've used The Out of Sync Child Has Fun and he's interested in kids with autism. He...
Thanks for the responses. I have no intention of testing, because we truly feel that wouldn't matter. I am simply trying to help a little boy who often has intense reactions and feels different all of the time. He knows his writing is as good as the children's books he reads, but it's only expressed like "You know, Mom, I think my book could be published and kids might enjoy it."  He is proud to show his parents, but doesn't enjoy the positive attention of anybody else,...
I'm just curious, and wanting to connect with others in the same situation. Since we homeschool, academic achievement and appropriateness of curriculum and such are non issues. I know my boy is smart, but it's the sensitivities and level of awareness he displays everyday that have me pretty convinced he is "gifted" ( hate that word). I have started to talk a little bit about this to him, because he is beginning to comment about how he knows he feels things more intensely...
We are trying to figure out whats going on with my son. He's 9, and has a history of leg/muscle problems after illness. Its very acute, and only happens about once each summer. He gets a summer cold/stuffy nose virus- with a sore throat, always a sore throat ( but only has had strep 2x and this has happened 6+) and a fever. Even a slightly elevated temp- last week only 100-  He seems better, then after a few days cannot stand one morning. Crying in pain. It hurts him...
I have also posted it there, but I remember reading about mito and other muscular issues here, so am hoping experienced Mom's can help us...
I'm pretty sure they have checked everything like that- I know they suggested a high carb diet and lots of water when he's having an episode. I know they checked his potassium, but I 'll look into magnesium. Wouldn't that be nice! We had wondered about an allergic reaction- possibly to the ibuprofen he was sometimes on the week before the leg trouble ( when he may have had a fever/sore throat/upper respiratory symptoms). Generally, I give him Hyland's cold care, or...
I've asked the doctor to send me results as she gets them. I don't know specifics about many of the things she's checking for, but she said some ( like ck) come back in a few days and others will take a few weeks.  Thanks so much for your encouragement and help :)
Thanks so much for responding- I have been searching for answers, as you can imagine. I read that link, and it sounds similar with the exception that my son only has these attacks in the summer- in the heat- and only after a fever ( even slight). It also is only related to a sore throat. He could get a stomach bug in the summer, for example, and not have a leg episode.    The dr told us to watch the urine and its been ok. She also said she didn't want to do the biopsy...
We are trying to figure out whats going on with my son. He's 9, and has a history of leg/muscle problems after illness. Its very acute, and only happens about once each summer. He gets a summer cold/stuffy nose virus- with a sore throat, always a sore throat ( but only has had strep 2x and this has happened 6+) and a fever. Even a slightly elevated temp- last week only 100-  He seems better, then after a few days cannot stand one morning. Crying in pain. It hurts him...