or Connect

Posts by kanga2roo

We are trying to figure out whats going on with my son. He's 9, and has a history of leg/muscle problems after illness. Its very acute, and only happens about once each summer. He gets a summer cold/stuffy nose virus- with a sore throat, always a sore throat ( but only has had strep 2x and this has happened 6+) and a fever. Even a slightly elevated temp- last week only 100-  He seems better, then after a few days cannot stand one morning. Crying in pain. It hurts him...
  We are heading into grade 3, and have been using Waldorf-inspired homeschooling materials and lessons. So far, it has been a beautiful journey and I have felt comfortable with what we have done.    All of the third grade studies I have found use Testament stories etc. in a major way. I understand the 9 year change and the need to address the issue of authority and obedience at this developmental level. But..... -I don't want to teach religion to my little boy in...
Thanks for making me feel better!
  I'm wondering what you all use for homeschooling....Looking for feedback and suggestions about different programs, from those of you who chose to use something at home with your child. My son will be nine in the fall. TIA!
  Being unable to tolerate the washcloth is a big clue. Poor little guy- if he's overtired and overloaded further by sensory things that would certainly account for his misery. Before you go to your pedi, brainstorm and write down any and all concerns or things that just seem "off" , particularly those that he has always had. Sometimes putting things together will add up in a more clear direction.My son, who would also wake suddenly when he was dozing, or if I moved,...
  Yikes   :(   No, I would not call this typical if it happening several times a day and he's inconsolable. What was he like before- you said this began a few months ago....? Does he have food allergies- do your other kids? Maybe he's not feeling well, ear infection? How is his tummy, as far as you can tell? He seems to be telling you loud and clear, well not so clearly actually, because you don't yet know what- that something is wrong.   Is he ever playful? Does he...
I'm so sorry I must have missed your post somehow! The info you gave in response to my post was encouraging. He seems to have good relational skills.    re the ball throwing game- heres a rec.  As soon as he glances at you, he's asking. Immediately give him another ball. Have a little stash ( assorted sizes/types/colors will help to be sure he can generalize) and keep giving them to him one at a time. If you can get another person to be next to him, have them help sign...
Does everybody sleep with the windows closed? I could never do that- we have them open , even if its just a crack, year round. Our slider has vertical blinds, so we can have all but a few inches closed, but its still light! We use a sound machine ( on rain) and make a "sleep tent" over ds's eyes and face once he's comfy. We just make a little peak with the sheet, but he has had to get used to going to sleep when its bright. The same thing happens in the morning. Our side...
That's totally fine!  Lots of beginning readers do that. As he reads more quickly and naturally he will stop doing that. Relax and enjoy!
So easy to do- just beautiful!   http://www.nationalstemcentre.org.uk/elibrary/resource/2096/wave-machine