or Connect

Posts by kanga2roo

I HIGHLY recommend this book  http://www.amazon.com/Miller-Method-Developing-Capacities-Children/dp/1843107228  Even though this is not at all a behavioral approach ( it is cognitive-developmental) it will help you understand your child and get some ideas on how to expand his behaviors. Kids who tantrum and are more intense actually do quite well with this approach. It will help you to see where he's falling apart and, in a very easy to understand format, how to get his...
   I remember when my son was younger he was just so aware of everything. He would participate in all conversations if he was present ( why wouldn't he- I guess- we never told him children should be seen and not heard and we were talking right there...). We needed to watch what we said around him, and what he was exposed to as far a s potentially upsetting things, because he was very sensitive. Looking back I think that had something to do with his difficulty falling...
I've used the 5-7, 6-8 and now 7-9, but never exclusively. There have been things I have loved about it, and other parts that I think are a waste of time. We use OM as well, and I am very happy with the mix of the two.   It seems like there are lots of "pages" for a program that says it moves off of them. I understand that the idea is often to offer alternative levels/versions of the same lesson to choose what you think is best for your child but even if you take away...
Where do you live?
My son is the same way. He's now 8 and can fall asleep much more quickly. It is super important for our ds to be ready for bed ( teeth, shower, etc) before he is too tired- otherwise he gets his second wind and gets revved up. We start our routine very early so we don't have to hurry the process along and can instead be calm with plenty of time. A good, long bedtime story- carefully chosen- helps too. This means nothing upsetting or remotely related to anything...
Looking for any info- tx
Thanks so much for the helpful information. I have the printed catalog and think I'm beginning to understand how it all can get pulled together. We are huge readers, so I think it might be a good fit. I'm not sure what the lessons are like, though, and am going to spend some time looking through the samples as soon as they email them to me. I was thinking of going with core 3 since my son will be 9 in the fall and a third grader.    Kim, was there a specific reason you...
   I am once again taking a good look at Sonlight for next year ( third grade). Can anybody offer any advice/suggestions/reviews? Thanks!
Thanks for the suggestions! We have already done the What to Do When You worry too much and we both loved it- and I just ordered the Grumble one a few days ago. I'm happy to check out the others as well. Thanks again!
 My eight year old son is very bright, and although he's never been tested I believe he is gifted because he has so many of the sensitivities I have read about. I'm always trying to learn more so I can be the best parent I can for him....   He is so hard on himself! He seems very negative at times and when we try to address normal discipline/parenting things he takes it to a level that is upsetting to see. He cares about others so much- has an uncanny awareness of many...