or Connect

Posts by Picard

At this stage in his life (3.5), we're dealing with a conflict between interest and maturity (IMO). DS is very interested in electronics and electricity, tools, etc. He's lucky to live in a household where we have a lot of old electronics, which he is welcome to take apart, and he is lucky that his dad is very knowledgeable about this stuff. But the electricity thing freaks me out. So, we try to monitor closely what we tell him (which is really a way of saying no)....
Thanks for this thread. DS is 3 and can be the most delightful person. Tonight he was a sweet, engaging, cooperative angel. This afternoon, he needed a nap and, as sometimes happens, became unmanageable. After a few minutes, I calmed him down with being really sweet and nice with him, but I did have to constrain him a few times, because he was hurting me. Those are trying times.   We engage DS in our daily lives, discuss things with him, give him choices, he has a...
I haven't read them, but the Nag Hammadi is definitely on my list of books to read this summer. I'm exited! I'm not a Catholic anymore, but am still very curious what these gospels have to give for wisdom/spirituality/life lessons.
I hear you! It is really tough. DS nursed very frequently throughout the night until he was about 33 months. Now, half a year later, he quite suddenly does not nurse at night anymore. I too got really frustrated at times, sometimes desperate. When he got a bit older, I would tell him that I would go to the washroom, hoping that he would fall asleep while I was gone. This eventually worked. Perhaps giving some water during the night helps too.
I would pull my child out of that school. I too was bullied; pulled out of school and taken to a new school where I was bullied again. I'm certain that it has had far-reaching repercussions for me. I still struggle with low self-esteem and other issues. Your son is too precious!
My son just turned three and has recently weaning himself from night feedings. He went from nursing quite frequently to not nursing at all at night in a span of three weeks. I know that he is not keen on the after lunch nap time feed either. I have a lot of trouble letting go of this, because it is really uncomfortable for me. It seems the time span from early morning (6am to evening, either 7pm or 9pm) is too long. Has  anyone else dealt with this, and what was your...
I like this thread. Today is a stay at home kind of day. DS just turned three. He began by asking to be read about electricity (kinetic/potential), electrons, while I was having my morning coffee. It's been a theme of interest of his for at least half a year. Then we moved on to playing with the piano, figuring which keys are out of tune and listening to the dissonance. Also showed him octaves again. He played by himself with playdough, making tracks in it with his...
I probably wouldn't rock the boat. Maybe I would say something about extended nursing in general, but I would not volunteer that I am still nursing my 3 year old. I'm a sensitive person and prefer to protect myself. People close to me know that DS is still nursing and I have not had negative comments. Just neutral comments. In our neck of the woods, the B.C. government recommends nursing to at least 36 months as per the toddler guide.
I think that your concern is a valid one. And, for what it is worth, I would probably not have watched my child interact in such a manner for such a long period of time. I would have approached his teacher. We too have a toddler and he does not know what a gun is. He does not watch TV or the like and this is how we want it until he is more able to understand what guns and their uses/consequences are. To this day (almost 35 years later!), I remember the boy in my...
Many reasons, really. They stem from having been in the public education school system for way too many years myself. I feel robbed of my sense of self. I was bullied, I was bored. I disliked the time I had to do. I felt awkward and depressed. And, then, later on, at university the first time around, it was a total joke! The profs often did not even show up for class! The second time around, I felt that they just wanted my money as I was a great, competitive, reliable...