or Connect

Posts by honeybee

My kids have been in the house for my births. I don't see a need for them to go elsewhere. I think there is a birth energy that envelops everyone nearby, even if they are not present for the actual birth, and helps bond everyone to the baby. Ds1 was 2y 4 months and witnessed ds2's birth. I don't know how much he was able to see of the actual birth, but he did great watching from grandma's arms. When ds3 was born, the boys were sleeping. It was just dh, me, and mw at the...
I get similar comments. And everyone seems surprised when I say I'm not really ready to have my baby, yet. (I'm 39 weeks). Since my baby dropped, there has been some discomfort when s/he pounds on my bladder or drums on my cervix, but this positioning is actually more comfortable all around, because baby is no longer throwing my hip out of whack.
Congratulations!! I would try to see a Board-Certified Lactation Consultant for a second opinion on breastfeeding. Some doctors can be very "supportive" of breastfeeding but not be up on the most current research, or really have much knowledge at all. If you can get a supplemental nurser, that would help a lot to stimulate your supply as well as avoid nipple confusion that comes along with a bottle. Or, you can dropper-feed. Hugs, mama! You're doing the best you...
I know lots of mamas whose biggest babies were their quickest and easiest births! Positioning of baby makes a much bigger difference than weight. Also, each pregnancy is totally different. Ds1 was born at 41 w, 6 days, 23.5 hours. Ds2 was born at 41 w, 5 days. Ds3 surprised us at 38.5 weeks. Dc4 is still hanging out comfortably in utero at 39w, 1 day. And babies really do not gain that much more weight once you are term. The weight gain really does taper off...
I think it's pretty common for docs to do membrane sweeps without asking their patients. In their minds, it's just part of the "internal exam" once you are term. That doesn't make it right, but I would not be shocked about it. I would just refuse all internal exams from this point forward.
If you have 5 months, why not just save up for a fishy pool? They're pretty cheap, and would work fine... way less money than a convertible carseat. And your mw may very well be able to help you find excess birth supplies from previous clients. And, really, the absolutely necessary supplies are the ones safety ones the mw brings along, anyways. You could choose to use old towels/sheets/tarps/shower curtains instead of buying chux pads, etc.
So, my dh admitted to me the other day that he is really, really scared about the upcoming birth of this baby... and he doesn't know why. This will be our 4th baby, 3rd homebirth. He has always been nervous as birth time approaches, and he does great. But he says he is even more scared this time than before. He says it's not because we're using a new mw, as he's comfortable with our mw. He is a big hb advocate, so it is not the hb that is bothering him. My pregnancy has...
I totally understand not wanting to have a stranger caring for you during your birth. Even if you find another HCP, it is likely to be in a practice where you get whomever is on call anyways. Have you considered looking for a family practice doctor? In our town, the fps who do births are much more ncb friendly. Plus, my own family doctor came to births even when she was not "on-call." She was not on call the day ds1 was born, but she was there to catch him. But, there...
Congrats on your baby girl! I'm so glad you've finally gotten a chance to hold her. Since a hospital that does not "allow" you to see your baby probably isn't very bf friendly, I hope you don't mind a little bf advice. Please know that you shouldn't be on a "clock" and just let her nurse whenever/however she feels like it. Sometimes you do have to wake a really sleepy baby to try to get them to nurse at first, but otherwise, just stay skin to skin as much as possible...
Congrats on the VBAC! Welcome sweet baby Arlo!!