or Connect

Posts by honeybee

I have been having some pretty strong cramping when I have to poop, too. There has been a lot of loose bowel/diarrhea lately. I'm not sure why. I've been eating pretty well, cut out sugar, etc.
I would just start reading all you can about homebirth. Maybe start with Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. The birth stories in the first half are very inspiring, and the second half is full of good information. Then I would also read Henci Goer's a Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. There are lots of other resources, too. I would also try to find some people in your area who have had homebirths. I actually did read the safety statistics with my first, but...
I have a homebirth midwife. This time around (4th baby) I started prenatal visits with her at about 20 weeks. We talk about how I'm feeling, I pee on a stick, she checks heart tones, palpitates my uterus, measures fundal height, and checks my blood pressure. That's it. I don't do any other tests. Now, with my first I had a family practitioner, and I did do the early bloodwork, which is in my charts. I do think it is important to at least know your blood type, get tested...
I'm 36 weeks today. I guess if I went into labor right now... I'm not sure what I'd do. Call my mw, probably. I have really fast labors, so I would probably have her come here, even though I don't actually have my birth kit stuff assembled, yet. I actually think a slightly preterm baby would have a better start here, with less likelihood of bf problems by getting full benefits of chord blood and mama warmth/kangaroo care, and no tubes stuffed down noses/throat unless...
I'm glad you're set. I was also going to suggest making a borrow request on our local forum, because I'm sure someone would have things you could use for a couple months.
At our public Montessori, the prek/K classes are 3 hour days, so a 3 hour cycle just isn't possible. And they have to provide lunch during that time, too. If the K students want to eat lunch at school, they at least get there before school starts so they have more work time in the classroom. But then the K students have to go elsewhere for PE and music, so they do get interrupted. The Montessori school is housed with a traditional school, so they share the extra curricular...
I know there are books for parents on the Suzuki method, so I would probably look for some of those. We've been doing Suzuki with ds1 for a year and a half, and will start with ds2 today. But, this is not a school program, it's private lessons, and I have been working right along with ds1 from the start. Suzuki includes very heavy parent involvement, so I am not sure how it is adapted in a school setting. There's a Suzuki thread in the Finding Your Tribes section, so maybe...
Quote: Originally Posted by eepster http://journal.naeyc.org/btj/200309/DelayingKEntry.pdf I recommend reading the whole article, it is very informative. Since you want advice from people who have personal experience with this, I say send her on time. I happen to have a very unique perspective on this. I have a September b-day. I started school in a state with a late cut off, so I was the youngest in the class. I was very happy as the...
The cut-off in our state is December 1st, which really makes no sense. Ds1 is a November baby. He did not do an official year of K until he was 5-turning-6, when he "qualified" the year before. I do not believe the current rigorous academic standards for K are developmentally appropriate for a lot of students, and boys especially tend to need an extra year before they are ready to read. Plus, there is just the physical ability to SIT STILL and focus and being...
Both my kids started preschool at age 3. Ds1 was just a couple months shy of 4, and ds2 was 3.5 when the school year started. We have a wonderful Montessori public school that they go to, with a really amazing teacher. I have learned so much from her. When ds1 started, preK was 4 half-days a week. Last year, when ds2 started, it was only 2 days a week, due to budget cuts. Ds2 really wishes he could go to school every day, but I admit I kind of like having him home, too....