or Connect

Posts by sunshadow

My daughter is 5 and this was so confusing to me. I haven't glanced at the other threads, so sorry if this is a repeat of information there. The Scholastics book wizard and Lexile Find a book are helpful.  I'd recommend that you learn about finding just right books for him.That will help you in your search.   http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/ http://www.lexile.com/fab/   It was confusing to me because most beginning chapter books will say the interest level...
We just got a new kitten, so I'm looking for information myself. I had lots of cats growing up and we never gave them the amount of vaccinations that vet clinics insist on. My mother was a nurse and she would just order the most important vaccines and do them herself. A few as kittens and then then a booster or two every few years. I can't remember the specifics, other than we had healthy outdoor cats without nearly the amount of vaccinations most cats get.   I am...
I'd just take them off when she got into the car and put them back on when it's time to get out. My daughter always takes her shoes off, so my son wants to too. They usually just drop to the ground and they put them back on when we get to our destination, or if at home they frequently walk in barefoot. I don't know. It's never really bothered me I guess. It takes them longer to finally get out of their seats after I unlatch them than it takes me to get their shoes back...
Thanks for the replies. Bringing up the idea of learning about what they can control and cannot really makes sense to me as well as the fact that she doesn't really understand about forces in nature, like the wind and water. She will hopefully learn in time that these things are not going to whisk away her possessions. I too wondered about OCD, but she doesn't seem to exhibit any other OCD tendencies, not that it isn't a possibility. I had read something prior to calling...
I haven't spent much time on mothering.com lately, but when I have something that's really bothering me I always find good information here.  I am hoping someone can help guide me in helping my 5 year old daughter, or will tell me I don't need to worry!    My daughter has started exhibition some behaviors that have worried me enough to call her pediatrician.  When I talked to the nurse there over the phone he said it sounded like Separation Anxiety, which really...
I do the 5 day LAL program, and I haven't seen the 3 day, but I think it does say what the differences are on their web site. I believe the one of the differences is that there are book recommendations that only come with the 5 day. 
I haven't seen this show, but when my daughter was really young, I want to say  less than 14 months old, she cried for me when I went to pay at the grocery store.  I turned to calm her and the clerk told me that Super Nanny said that if I did that my child wouldn't have any friends in school.  I was so dumbfounded I didn't know how to reply.  I just looked at her and said, She's a baby.  I knew that wasn't a show for me!
I picked up a book and it had a method to try that normally I would dismiss, but I was desperate.  It was a rewards type system, though it didn't call it that, coupled with lots of positive words when the child plays well.  I tried it out a few times and my daughter did great.  I asked her to not hurt, push, pull, or sit on her brother for 15 mins, to start, and I would spend 15 mins playing with her.  When I didn't have time I offered a treat or some money for her piggy...
I actually just declared that I wasn't going to take my daughter,3.5,  to any more Toy stores or let her look at catalogs.  We just started getting catalogs and never had before and my daughter is obsessed with them.  I let her look at them because it bought me some time with the baby.  I was always happy that my child didn't know commercial characters and didn't have any interest in box toy store type toys.  Well, then Halloween came and the costume catalog and my DH...
Sollysmom, I'm in the same boat and posting here instead of starting a new thread!  I guess this is common.  About an hour ago my 3.5 yo daughter was in her room playing with her horses and my 10 month old started heading her way.  Before I got there she ran to him screaming and pushed him over because she didn't want him in her room.    Now, I know part of this is my problem.  I've been to much of a dictator "Don't do this and don't do that" because I have such...