or Connect

Posts by InMediasRes

Good to see this thread. I have been eyeing the UU church for a while now, but never got up the guts to go. I loved the community aspect of religion, but I don't want all the other stuff that goes with it. I also like the idea of a church that can help you get involved in charity. I know that the UU church in my area is really involved in LGBT rights and immigration reform. I'm not sure what else they're into.
Smokering, all of the arguments you were answering were not to say that humans should be able to create themselves better, but to point out that most of our perceived flaws are part of the somewhat haphazard way that we evolved. Some characteristics were favored over others. Our foresight, planning ability, and intelligence won out over some more "animalistic" traits, like agility and speed. It's not that we were designed poorly, but rather that we were not designed at...
Wow, I'm really curious about this. I have often heard it said that Americans are very impersonal communicators, so I wonder if they speak more loudly because they are not watching each other's faces and lips move. Just a hypothesis, of course. :)  
No, pain of childbirth is not punishment. Nor is any pain.
To those who have said that, if they were loud enough for me to hear, they were being too loud or disruptive, I have to clarify. The tables where we were were jammed so close together and the place was so loud (yeah, not going there during lunch rush ever again) that we might as well have been sharing a table. I didn't feel like they were being obnoxious or disruptive, my son just happened to be riveted by their conversation, despite my attempts to distract him back to...
This is why I decided not to say anything, but I was curious about other people's feelings on this simply because I was feeling uncomfortable about it. I think I might have been a little more outspoken if they had been talking about something sexually explicit, racist, homophobic, etc., and definitely if they had been speaking disrespectfully to me. As it was, they were just talking about business stuff with some f words in there.   My daughter is too young to care and...
I was out to lunch with my kids today in a place that had tables really close together. Since it was lunch hour, there were a lot of people there and everyone was trying to talk loudly to be heard by their party. I realized after a few minutes that the men sitting next to us (seemed like business men on their lunch break) were using the f word gratuitously and rather loudly.   Now I don't have problems with swearing, and I myself use the f word a bit, but c'mon. My...
If my mom ever saw a whole bunch of something in one place, for instance, a lot of school buses parked in a lot, she would say "It's a school bus laughin' place!" I still have no idea what that means, but we say it all the time anyway.   If we find a really good parking spot, we say "That spot had our name on it!"   Someone who talks a lot is said to "talk the left ear off a wooden indian".   When someone needed to go spend time in the bathroom, my mother...
I think all of us on this thread go to the Sandy one. It's 10AM the 2nd and 4th Tue of each month. I can send you the address if you're interested, but I think it's linked somewhere in this thread.    
Yes! I was trying to find a new suit for DD and there are almost no 2 piece suits that are not bikini. She has already potty trained, so I don't want a one piece suit since it's too difficult to get off in a hurry. I finally found one I like at ON, and REI has some that are more like board suits, shorts and a short sleeve top. I think those are more practical for sun exposure anyhow.