or Connect

Posts by girlndocs

I think it's uberweird ... now. Back when I married DH I didn't think about it, though, I just went with the flow. Even if I'd given more thought to it, I personally would probably have elected to change my name. My "old" name for me is linked not only to a mother I hate (yeah, it's my father's name originally but he didn't raise me) but to my identity as total, ostracized garbage all through middle and high schools. I was glad to escape it. To this day I do not even...
The reason henna colors and conditions your hair is because its active constituent, lawsone, has an affinity for the keratin in your hair and bonds to it. I know it will also stain skin, wood and some fibers, but I think the deal is that the lawsone molecules only bond to certain kinds of keratin-like protein, which would explain why it doesn't stain ceramic, say, or vinyl tile. ETA: How'd it turn out? Inquiring minds want to know!
In my experience, the Chagrin Valley bars are so mild they won't remove any kind of heavy oil application, so I wouldn't try shampooing with them after a deep coconut oil treatment. You might, however, try rubbing a tiny speck of coconut oil (or a single drop of apricot oil) between your palms and smoothing that on the dry parts of your hair like a leave-in conditioner. If your hair is thick and wavy a boar bristle brush is not likely to work well for you.
Quote: Originally Posted by sadie_sabot Not to be a big jerk or anything, but I question the "I can't understand you when you whine" approach...unless the whining is so intense that you honestly can't understand them. Just because with an older kid, won't they know that you do hear their words? Yeah, I don't do the cutesy lies either. I say (usually gritting my teeth because it's one of those days) "That tone of voice is really getting on my...
Funny how I never ONCE had to hit my now 6-yo to teach him to stay out of the street. Funny how my toddler is now learning the exact same thing (as well as avoiding hot things like BBQ grills) without ever ONCE being hit either. ETA: or otherwise punished. Now you're going to backpedal and imply that my kids must somehow not represent the norm, but I guarantee you there are dozens and dozens of parents here who will tell you the exact. Same. Thing. about their...
I am in awe of all the mental gymnastics people will do to avoid the word "racist". Racism isn't leprosy, people. It's not a personal flaw. It's a result of living in a racist society, which I would venture to say we all do. Good, nice, decent people say racist things and have racist beliefs. And calling the statement in the OP "ignorant" or "biased" or "shallow" isn't going to change the fact that it is RACIST RACIST RACIST and so is the mindset that...
Quote: Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby I don't think that it's uncool to tell moms to loosen up a little. I think it's uncool to go through life being so rigid about everything. : Exactly what I'm talking about. How's about this: if you (general you) don't live with the kid, and you don't parent the kid, and you don't know why that "rigidity" might be there, how's about you refrain from passing judgements about that "rigidity" and...
Quote: Originally Posted by CariS I don’t think this was created as an exclusive attachment parenting website. In that case, you are mistaken. Mothering, and Mothering.com, are about attachment parenting. The purpose of these forums is not to "support" everybody and every choice indiscriminately. It is not a place to support CIO, or formula feeding by choice, or routine infant circumcision, or spanking, or many other things. It *is* a...
Hi! Definitely, definitely call a bunch of homebirth midwives and talk to them about any concerns you have. See what they have to say. Don't let your mother's fear, or anyone else's fear, steer you away from the best birth for you! It sounds like you'd really like to have a homebirth -- I say go for it!
Quote: Originally Posted by dharmamama When we say we don't like something in our culture but grudgingly participate, we are part of the problem. :