or Connect

Posts by girlndocs

I can't imagine having someone watch my animals without making sure to tell them how many there were (so they would know if one was missing), where everything was, and all that! And I can't imagine taking a job on, myself, without knowing that stuff in advance! I was out of town for 5 days last month and my friend watched our 5 cats, rabbit and 3 hens, and he insisted on getting multiple-page instructions via email which he printed out and brought with him (granted,...
I took a candlelit bath every day and stroked my belly and sang songs of patience and strength. This may be TMI but I tended to be constipated, probably because Dd's head was practically hanging between my knees for the last trimester : Every time I had a BM I would practice relaxing, breathing and just observing those muscles doing their job. This really did help when it came time to push! I practiced relaxation a la Bradley every night, until I could take a couple...
Quote: Originally Posted by Red Mother Raven and Fire Shaper and Little Big Bear Great, add that to the list of what's wrong with this scheme: shameless racism and cultural appropriation. :
I didn't cancel -- it's almost over -- but I'm not renewing my Mothering subscription and I wrote to let them know why.
I sent mine. Quote: I will not be renewing my subscription to Mothering Magazine, due the Mothering.com banner ad for The Old Schoolhouse. The Old Schoolhouse praises the teachings of Michael and Debbi Pearl, who, as I am sure you are aware, advocate hitting babies with switches, a wife "forgiving" a husband who sexually molests their children, and training babies and children to break their spirits. I understand that Mothering cannot be expected to...
My MIL buys my subscription to MM, and I will be asking her for a subscription to a different magazine from now on and making sure to tell her why, so she doesn't feel like MM is something she should recommend to others.
Quote: Originally Posted by JessJoy studying the process can only dispell any fears or misconceptions you may have. I disagree. Even taking positive, UC-centered resources into account, overall the pool of information available about birth is heavily slanted towards fear and pathology. Really is it going to dispell my fear or misconception to learn 847 different ways my baby could be abnormal? 236 ways labor can suddenly go wrong? KWIM?...
A very good book that will introduce you to some of the studies is The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, by Henci Goer. I also always reccommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. Why? Because both these books provide solid facts and numbers to back up their assertions. The indication of every reliable study done, over and over again, is that birth with a midwife is perfectly safe and lowers the risk of unneccessary c-sections and other...
I would be pretty irritated if someone had agreed to keep an eye on my cats and then left mutiple piles of cat yak -- that they knew were there -- to get all dry and crusty for me to come home to. It's just cat yak, for pete's sake. Scrape it up with a dustpan or a piece of cardboard or something, spray a little cleanser, wipe. Hold your breath if you have to. Did you agree originally to clean their litterbox? I cannot imagine cats not having their box scooped or...