or Connect

Posts by Bellasmom

Quote: Originally Posted by LionessMom do midwives around here take medicaid? like cedar rapids/ iowa city? i know al ot of LLL moms are on here. i missed the meetings where they were talking about it. i am seriously considering a HB right now. i am already 22 weeks though. the yellow pages are no help.... I would think that the midwives at UIHC are covered by Medicaid. I have had two unmedicated (in terms of pain relief) births with them, the...
Angela Tom Ella - 5 Käthe - 2 Thea - 5 days
I have never liked the hospital pads - I have delivered at two different hospitals and their pads have had very little adhesive and no wings - I much prefer some of the overnight pads with wings, and my own underwear that I can toss if need be. Also, afterpains are much stronger with the second, and I found the Thermacare self-heating pads to be worth their weight in gold the first couple of days. Hospitals will not give you a heating pad because of risk of burns. The...
Quote: Originally Posted by iris777888 On a separate note, what's up with the UIHC midwife group? I just got their letter in the mail about their "unanticipated" changes, but I'm wondering what led to it and is really going on. I haven't gotten the letter yet, but at my 34 wk appt. Laura Dellos told me that Paula is not currently taking call for "personal reasons". As a result they have two midwives trying to do all the deliveries, and...
I like the adhesive disposable heating pads (Thermacare and the like) for afterpains - they are the right size and last for a long time. I also picked up witch hazel and some flushable witch hazel wipes. I am going to try a tummy binder for the first time - the one I have my eye on claims extra back support during breastfeeding, which I could definitely use.
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnR33 If you are feeling at all like you might go into labor can you send the girls to the wedding with grandma and demand they take lots of pics and you stay home? That is definitely the plan - however we will be there for 2 days - Friday for rehersal, Saturday for the wedding. Having gone to bed not thinking I was in labor and waking up just a couple of hours before delivery last time, I just want to have all my...
Hello Ladies, I am expecting baby #3 in October and am planning to deliver with the midwives at the Univeristy in Iowa City. However, my daughters are flower girls in a wedding in Cedar Falls one week before my due date. I am planning on taking my mother-in-law as a backup caregiver for the girls, but would like suggestions on the best hospitals for delivery between IC and the WL/CF area. My last baby was born 11 days past her "due date", so I don't have much...
Quote: Originally Posted by smokeylo What's the water quality in North Liberty? Is it hard water? I'm wondering about this for my diaper wash routine. We're moving there in a few weeks. Thanks! We don't use a water softener and I don't have problems with hard-water build up. As city water goes, I find it to be better than Iowa City and Coralville's. I wash diapers in a front-loading washer - doing a cold short cycle with no detergent to rinse,...
We have donse ZJ Farms CSA for a couple of years and really like it. We split a share with another family (2 adults, 1 kiddo) and it goes well. There is also "optional" items that you can get each week if there are extras - usually there are! Website is http://www.zjfarms.com/
Quote: Originally Posted by michaeladevine I am hoping someone will have some insight into the risks of having an IUD present while pregnant. I am three months and am having a really hard time deciding on whether to remove the IUD (50% chance of losing the baby) or leaving it in (higher risk of infection and spontaneous abortion) Has anyone had any experience with this? My mother had this happen to her in 1980 - I am not sure if the options were...