or Connect

Posts by KariM

For quality casual clothing in plus sizes I love Land's End! I have some shirts I bought over 10 years ago, wear weekly, and they're just now starting to show wear. As for stocking up on food, we only stock up on foods we eat on a regular basis. Some ideas that work for our family: - rice - wheat berries - dried beans - olive oil - bottled fruit juice - dried fruit - baking staples (baking powder, yeast, baking soda, etc)
We do! I don't use dry milk since DD1 has a dairy allergy. I buy our wheat berries in 40lb buckets and our yeast in 2lb packages. Our bread is whole wheat flour, a bit of bread flour (for the higher gluten content), olive oil, water, yeast, and salt. I also will make breadsticks that are just flour, water, olive oil, salt, and yeast. We really need to be careful about what is in our food because of DD1's various sensitivities and it's much less expensive (and...
We just had to provide the SSN when we got it. If memory serves that finally got taken care of about a month to a month and a half after the birth. FWIW - we took the baby in to see our family practice doc about a week after the birth and that appointment was covered by our insurance. The doc's office just billed like they usually do even though we didn't yet have a SSN.
Some of the things we do to keep our costs down: 1. Grow a garden and preserve (dehydrate and can) the excess 2. Let neighbors and friends know we'll accept excess produce from their gardens and fruit trees - we have an arrangement with one neighbor where we can or dehydrate the fruit and give him some back in "payment" for the free food 3. Buy our meat in bulk from local farmers. This past year we were able to buy pastured beef at $3.25/lb, organic pork at $3.47/lb,...
We're a family of five (2 adults, one 18 year old boy, 5 year old girl, 21 month old girl) and budget $450/month for groceries. That does include some of our cleaning supplies (vinegar, borax, washing soda, baking soda). That $450/month will put food on our table, replace the pantry items we've used, and allow us to add more food to our food storage. So it's more than what we consume on a monthly basis. We also grow a garden in the summer and preserve much of that...
I haven't read through the other responses so this will probably duplicate some of them. 1. Buy clothing in one color family for easier matching (DD1 likes pink, fuschia, purple) 3. We stick to solid color tops and patterned pants/skirts 2. Buy only clothing that is soft cotton without structured waistbands 3. Combine them into outfits as we buy and donate any extras that don't match (easy to do when we only pay 99 cents or less per piece) 4. Keep a computerized list...
I could use your prayers and advice. I don't want to go into too many details but a calling has been extended to me that just seems overwhelming. I don't have any experience in this area and there are some small ward political issues that might surface as well. I don't want to flat out refuse the calling, but I'm really not looking forward to accepting the calling either. Just when I feel comfortable saying yes, I get terrified again and feel like there is no way I...
My goals for 2010: 1. Continue to build up a following of readers (would love to hit 100 by year's end) 2. Figure out how to know what my page hits are 3. Continue daily postings 4. Increase interaction with readers - more comments, Q & A posts, etc 5. Improve the quality of my photos 6. Explore the idea of monetizing the blog - this one is tough for me because I would ideally only want ads that would appeal to my readers 7. Increase the number of giveaways 8....
I do and did! We bought a double jogging stroller at the Salvation Army Thrift store for 25 dollars. I took it down the block to the local bike shop and had new tubes and tires put on. When I was finished I ended up paying 83 for the stroller. For a bit more, yes, I could have had a new stroller, but I like the idea of supporting local charities and businesses and also like the design of the old stroller better than the low end options on new ones.
I've had both over the years and right now we only keep up the Costco membership. For baby clothes, I like the brands and quality at Costco better than Sam's Club. For healthy foods, I like the options at Costco better. For toys, I like the offerings at Costco better (more natural-ish toys and toys I'd be more likely to buy for our kids). I've also found that I prefer the Kirkland (Costco store brand) baby wipes better than Sam's Club. In general, I really like...