or Connect

Posts by mcgee

I am moving back to NWA from Austin, TX, and I'm in need of a delayed/selective vaccination-friendly doc as well. Can anyone recommend someone?
I *might* worry about mumps for a teenaged boy or adult male because of the small risk of sterility. Measles, rubella and chicken pox don't scare me. I was a VERY sickly baby and toddler - hereditary kidney problems, nearly died from complications of kidney surgery as an infant, weakened immune system, came down with everything, was constantly in and out of the hospital... I had measles at a year old and chicken pox at 5, both without complication.  
We have an exemption for our eldest child who attends public school in Texas. AFAIK, NO notification went out to the class about there being a vaccine exempt child in the classroom. For all I know there could have been others in her class. When someone in another class in her grade came down with a confirmed case of chicken pox, everyone got an email AND a robo-call from the school nurse letting us know, but nothing was said about vaccine exemptions.   The only thing...
My daughter was vaxed on schedule through age 2.   My son has had two doses of DTaP.   They are now almost 6 (daughter) and 2.5 (son).   My daughter has sensory processing disorder, probable ADHD (we've been told they won't officially diagnose until six, but multiple doctors, teachers and therapists have told us this), a heart murmur, mild ureteral reflux (likely genetic), and psoriasis. She's been in OT for over a year, and on the recommendation of both of...
Hib is one that I'm undecided on as well. My son is almost two and has had two doses of DTaP, and that's it. Our pediatrician is fine with us choosing not to vaccinate, but if we selectively vax, Hib is one he recommends because he feels there's a reasonable chance of being exposed to it. My son does not attend daycare or preschool, but older sis is in public school now. It's reassuring to know that if we do get the hib vax, we'd only need one dose.
Our son will be 2 soon. He has had two doses of DTaP, and that's it. Our pediatrician generally recommends DTaP (for the pertussis component), HIB and Prevnar, since he feels those are the diseases we're most likely to encounter.
I was given tetanus (after an injury), two rhogam shots (one after a bleeding episode and one when it was "standard" to do so), and a flu shot during my first pregnancy. By the time I had my second, I declined everything. I didn't even realize I could decline rhogam until my midwife presented me with some information and asked me to make an informed decision as to whether I wanted it. I did end up having to get it after my son was born and his blood type was positive,...
Our midwife charged $2500 for our homebirth, plus another $200 for a backup midwife for the birth, and we spent an additional $75 or so on the birth kid and some additional items. Midwives in our area tend to run between $2000 and $4000, with birthing centers in the $4000 range. My daughter's hospital birth with induction and epidural was more than $10,000, and that does not include additional medical fees for our daughter's hospital stay - that was just MY bill, or...
I get angry because misinformation results in paranoid parents who think that non-vaxing or selective/delayed vaccinating parents are neglectful, abusive, should be thrown in jail, should not have access to public schools or any other government benefits, etc. None of them want to admit that the vaccines aren't perfect. If their vaccinated child gets a VPD, the fault doesn't lie with the vaccine, it's all the fault of the parents who DIDN'T vaccine their disease-ridden,...
If she's already had the MMR, then she should be fine until ages 4-6 when they do the booster shot. If she's already had the booster, then I'm not sure why he's freaking out. The first dose of MMR is usually given at 12 months, although it's not uncommon to wait until 18 months or even 2 for that. If your baby is less than a year old, then gently remind him that it's not given at her age.   I've definitely avoid talking about it if you can because if it becomes an...