or Connect

Posts by westcoastmummy

I bought my sons crib mattresses which claimed they were "eco" and flame-retardant free, stuffed with organic cotton, and I've been very happy with them. I think it's a Naturepedic, but the boys are asleep and I don't want to doule check ;)   But now the boys are ready for "big boy beds" and I need to upgrade the mattresses to a single bed size. The trouble is that one boy is allergic to latex (like me), so that rules out natural rubber mattresses. Can anyone suggest...
We like seventh generation (unfragranced) and we use a tiny amount.   BTW, my youngest son had extremely sensitive skin in his first year, and we found that cloth diapers made his rashes much worse. (A shame as I was hugely committed to the idea of them and we tried several types). Disposables gave him a rash where the elastic met the skin, but seventh generation worked ok.
I bought a pair of Old Navy jeans and wore them for travelling on a long plane journey without washing them first. I have never done this before, as I have lots of allergies and am usually very careful about laundering new clothes (my known allergies are to latex, nickel, titanium dioxide, perfume and essential oils). When I arrived I had a swollen, red, itchy band on my skin just where the belt was pressing into my stomach. It was extremely painful (that'll teach me!)....
My son is almost 3 and has had health problems since he was born -- all relating to reflux, asthma, allergies. In the last year he seems to have grown much stronger and we were very pleased with his progress. But recently his daycare told me they suspect a developmental delay or disorder, so we went to see his pediatrician who thinks he might have mild delays caused by his illness in the past (he was very ill and weak for a long time, more or less the first 2 years of...
My 2 year old has been complaining of pain i his left wrist for the last year. Now he's getting more articulate, it's clear that he hurts, but he's not actually sore any more than usual. He also has GERD (for which he's on Nexium), severe allergies and asthma. What can it be? There's no obvious signs of arthritis so our MD just dismissed it. He's also recently developed a cafe au lait spot and a few freckles in his axillary regions. Help, please!
Thank you, thank you. These are really helpful. I had a heart to heart with him and I think he's mostly scatter-brained, but also he doesn't think DS will eat anything he's allergic to any more. He's not as hyper-vigilant as me. It's been almost a year since DS's one and only ana reaction and I think DH doesn't see it as a threat any more in some way. I'm going to post a big sign on our door: no epi-pen, no exit And I'm going to buy one of those belts with an epi-pen...
My DH went to the park tonight with DS (23 mnths) and didn't take his Epipen. Again. And they ate blackberries on the way. DS is anaphylactic to beef & possibly also cow's milk, very allergic to eggs, and has had suspected reactions (facial hives) to blueberries, sesame, chocolate, prunes, and celery. Not blackberries, but who knows if he might react to them in the future. And what if DS accidentally ingests something in the park, such as a sippy cup full of cow's...
Just to add that my DS has sensory problems with eating. He attended a feeding and swallowing clinic and we found he had premature slippage, which was making him gag and choke a little bit. But not enough to have really worried me -- it was the pediatrician that wanted me to check out eating problems along with the reflux (apparently they go together, as does his asthma because of his potential to aspirate). BTW, he has only thrown up maybe twice in his life, as a result...
Ah, now I've found freckles on his groin and underarm area. Should I worry?
Recently noticed a strange pigmentation mark on my 23 mnth DS and the pediatrician said it was a cafe au lait spot. He told me to watch out for more as it was a sign of something sinister. So of course I checked on google and now I'm worried! Does anyone else's children have these marks? I'm not sure how common they they and if I really need to worry about more appearing.