or Connect

Posts by Althetrainer

When building a SD starter, it's very normal to see ups and downs in activity levels in the first week. Chances are, you will see a lot of activities in the first two days (especially in hot and humid climate) then suddenly it looks dead. Nothing to worry about, it happens to a lot of new starters. When I built mine a couple of years ago, I really thought my starter was dead by day 4. I kept feeding it and by day 6 it suddenly came to life. By day 7, I made my first...
I would love to but I am in Calgary. The distance is too far therefore the cost to get raw goat milk probably will be unaffordable for us. I hope you will find someone else closer to get that share established. Al
I drain kefir until it looks like cream cheese, add onion powder, garlic powder, pinch of salt and sugar, a bit of dill weeds or finely chopped parsley. If you like, add a bit of softened butter then mix until smooth. If it's too dry, add some whey back into it or use sour cream. Blend until the desired consistency. This can be used as spread or dips. If you like gourmet, add a small package of smoked salmon and a few drops of lemon juice. Very delicious! Al
I use a glass jar because I can easily see the progress of the starter. Keep the lid lose, in case the starter becomes too active, so it won't explode on you. :-) Where about in Alberta are you? I am in Calgary. If you're anywhere close I will be more than happy to just give you some. Al
I have built three SD starters using different ways. They all works. Most SD starter recipes work as long as you have the most important ingredient: patience. I built one by capturing wild yeast; it took me about 10 days to get it going. I used just whole wheat flour, water, and a couple of raisins. I keep this one for making whole wheat bread. Just for fun, I built another one using commercial yeast to kick start. Yup, you could do that too. Some people say...
Just want to make sure what you have are milk grains, not water grains. If they are milk grains they should do just fine resting in the fridge in a bit of milk. When I have to rest my milk grains for a long time, I put enough milk to cover the grains then into the fridge they go. Once a week or so, I take them out and rinse them (the milk they rest in tends to get very thick and slimy after a while) with fresh milk or whey, put them back in fresh milk, then allow to...
We love sardines. My 8-year-old son would eat sardines straight out the can, without anything else. Last year, he begged me to put sardines in his lunch box. Knowing his friends would tease him, I warned him but he didn't care. He loved sardines that much. If eating straight sardines seems gross to you, you can try cooking ( more like heating) it with some herbs and spices to eat with cooked vegetables. I love to stir fry vegetables in a bit of coconut oil, season...
You've pretty much described the relationship between my son and me, except he's now 8 years old. It was my choice to stay home after my son was born and I rarely left the house without him. DH and I went out a few times while my stepson lived here with us. Other than that, we had one baby sitter in all 8 years. I don't know if this attachment a problem or not. But I would like my son to be a bit more independent and less clingy to me. He would go to his friend's...
My husband has worked the same job for almost 30 years and he's only a few years away from a full pension. So if he got laid off he probably wouldn't even try to get another job. We're lucky because we have paid off our house and the two cars (probably need a new one in the next couple of years though). My stepchildren are over 18 and we have only one child (8 yr old) together. I have been a SAHM on and off for almost 9 years. The good thing about going back...
I would let him sleep as long as he wants. If I were the one working until the wee hours I would love to be able to sleep until I feel enough. So I would do the same for him. Unless he asked me to wake him up at a certain hour, I would just let him sleep. But again, my husband usually sleeps only 5.5 hours, he probably will wake up before 9 a.m. anyway. Al