or Connect

Posts by healthy momma

I just had to quickly say, before the big snowstorm hits, how happy we have been to have sunshine and see the snow melting for two days. Sigh. I know this snow won't last long now but I sure would like it to hurry up and just be spring - mud and all! :-) 
Yuba_River, the Snaptricity sets look like they would be right up his alley. And from the comments online it sounds like even a nonreading 6 year old (who is motivated) can work much of it on his own. If you feel any different would you let me know. Thanks!   moominmamma, thanks for the long list of suggestions that have worked in your family. Even though I know some aren't things that would work for my son it sparked some ideas for things that might and that's what I...
I have an almost 6 year old son and a 1 year old son. I am looking to invest in a few items that my older son could use independently to explore his world when tending to the younger one makes it impossible for me actively work on a project with him. My current ideas include a digital camera (maybe even an action camera), metal detector, wood carving/whittling tools (yes, there would be supervision!), and microscope. Any other thoughts for me? 
 I had never thought about this in quite that way. It makes total sense though. And yes, regardless of how much he uses the potty or when he potties completely independently I would always choose to EC. :-)
Well, I guess no one else has "been there, done that." Just in case anyone else ever does encounter this situation I'll update to say that he has suddenly begun using the potty every once in a while. I'm encouraged and see it continuing to get more frequent. I guess some potty pauses just last many months. :-) Keep at it ECers! 
 Thanks for sharing, Miranda. I definitely agree that what I wrote is a simplification of asking questions if we are talking throughout the whole lifespan. Since I've still got pretty little ones I haven't moved into that arena quite yet. Glad it is on my radar for the future! 
When I read your request it reminded me of something I wrote to share with my children's grandmother. She is very supportive but struggles with some of the finer points of our lifestyle choices and, well, habits are hard to break and it helps her to have something written down so she can try to follow our wishes. Take this for what it is - just what we believe and what works for our family.  I hope you are able to find a balance that feels right for everyone involved in...
I just wanted to say how much I loved reading your description of your walk SweetSilver. I so rarely get a quiet unhurried walk by myself these days. Having a 5 year old and a 1 year old just isn't conducive very often. And spring is nowhere near here. But I did get a 20 minute snowshoe in with my mother yesterday afternoon. Cold but beautiful sunshine. As much as I am ready (really ready!) for spring to be here it is still a treat to wander through the snow covered woods...
Just thought I'd see if anyone else has a "been there, done that" story. I EC'd my first son. We pretty much hit all the classic stages, had a few frustrations as a new mom and first time ECer but it was a great overall experience and pretty much what I expected. Along comes baby #2. Started EC right away just like I did the first time. It was even easier! This little guy just seemed to get it. We were really dry and clean a lot even though that is just a bonus in the...
I like Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooled Life by Rue Kream, The Unschooling Unmanual by Nanda Van Gestal (and others), Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves by Alison McKee, and Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything by Laura Grace Weldon. I also like reading everything by John Holt. Peter Gray's articles are always thought provoking. And I also like Life Learning Magazine. I haven't even scratched the surface of all that is out there to...