or Connect

Posts by RiverTam

People assume that if you aren't making eye contact, you are either not listening or you are lying. It's ironic because people who have problems interpreting facial expressions and verbal language often look away from faces in order to concentrate on listening, they're not making eye contact because they are concentrating on listening.   It can help if you teach your kid other signals to indicate that he is listening -- nodding, making agreement gestures with his...
Here's  a whole thread on special interests kids have had: http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/posts/list/315597.page
You should go to Intercot.com and ask on their special needs board. They're very nice and they're Disney fans and they have this down.   There are times when Disney is much less crowded -- the last week of August and after Labor Day, after Easter and Spring Break, after New Year's week, after Thanksgiving break and before Christmas break.  Check out TouringPlans.com and they can give you a predicted crowd calendar for the whole year.  The week after Thanksgiving or...
My kid is 11. His special interests change with time. We have gone through: sharks and marine vertebrates, the environment, weather, Thomas the Train, animals, Martin Luther King, the Civil Rights Movement, Gandhi, the Spanish American War, historical military weapons, Magic Treehouse books and fact guides,  Legos, Dungeons and Dragons and other roleplaying games, and probably some that I have forgotten.
With my kids with ASD, we had to practice using anger management skills in the moment. Talking about how to handle anger is great, but he couldn't move from feeling angry to doing something about it without coaching.    When he was starting to go off, I would try to stay calm. I would ask him what the problem is. He would explain it. We would then talk through what to do about it and I would walk him through handling the problem.  Often this would mean he needed to...
The ADOS shouldn't be too stressful, but it is designed to get a kid to demonstrate behaviors typical of ASD in a short period of time, if they are there.    I watched my son's ADOS and did some reading about it.   The ADOS is structured. The person doing the assessment will take the child into a room, away from the parents. The parents may watch from another room. The interviewer will then start a sequence of activities. The child and the interviewer will play...
  I live in Illinois. Our insurance is mandated to cover autism tx, but because of the delay in diagnosis, it didn't cover anything. 
My insurance has not paid for any treatment of my child with HFA/ASD. We paid out of pocket for speech therapy and social skills classes and a psychologist. We paid privately for all of his assessments. My son was in a private Montessori school and did not receive any accommodations from the school or any support from the public school system while he was there. He is now in a public school and gets 1/2 hour  of speech per week and 1/2 of social skills class per...
    Bath mitts, maybe? You could put baby wash on the mitt, rather than soap.   You could try the terrycloth mitts and the foam ones to see if either works.    http://www.target.com/p/circo-wash-mitt/-/A-14163692#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton   http://www.target.com/p/circo-fox-wash-mitt/-/A-14275371#prodSlot=medium_1_29&term=bath+mitt   http://www.amazon.com/Maddak-Foam-Bath-Mitt/dp/B005H7DL8Y       If he has extremely dry skin, I bet the soap hurts his skin. It can sting,...
You could try skipping the soap. About 90% of the work of getting clean is done mechanically by water.  Try having him wipe down with a wash cloth over every part of his body under the shower head and then squirt him down again. Wash his hair with shampoo one to two times per week. That's probably enough for a kid his age and I bet he will smell fine.   If you like, you could add a warm bath with baby oil to his regime. It will improve the condition of his skin and...