or Connect

Posts by RuthieJ

My sweet gentle almost 4 yo son loves everything "girly".  He loves princesses and fairies (but also trucks and tractors), wears his favourite pyjamas (a pink nightgown) every night (crisis if it is in the laundry!), no longer wants me to cut his hair b/c he wants it long for pigtails, and more and more asks to wear skirts and dresses (he has a 6-yo sister, so there are lots of 'girly' clothes available!).  He is always playing pretend, and regularly pretends to be a girl,...
Over a year has passed since I posted, but I wanted to share the update.  I ended up connecting with a very supportive doula friend who helped me immensely.  As the months went on I changed my mind completely and realizing that I was strong enough to face a vaginal birth again.  I had to do a lot of emotional work in preparation and face some difficult feelings from my past. But as the birth drew nearer I felt more and more confident and calm.  My beautiful daughter was...
I'm 33 weeks pregnant and suffering from insomnia almost every night.  I go to sleep no problem, but then wake up at 3 or 4 am and can't get back to sleep, usually for at least an hour, and sometimes I never do get back to sleep before morning.  I know the issue is that I'm dealing with a lot of stresses.  I'm working on those, but in the middle of the night my brain always seems to decide that I need to process something.  Any suggestions for natural remedies for sleep...
Thanks so much, I will definitely check out Birthing from Within.  I haven't heard of The Pink Kit, I'll look into that too.  I do actually find it very healing to read other women's birth stories, both positive and negative, and have been reading some on this site.  I've been reading Hypnobirthing and I think I can take some helpful things from that, although it seems more guided toward a first-time mom.  For me, I want to both be able to picture this birth as a very...
I'm about 2 months away from birthing my third child, after a traumatic experience with my second child's birth. (Described in a previous thread.)  At first I was completely determined to have a c-section, but with the support of a very understanding doula friend, I'm now trying to prepare for a vaginal birth.  In my previous two pregnancies, I felt calm and confident.  This time I'm trying to 'trust birth' but I have to admit that I'm struggling with a lot of fears and...
Thanks so much for the great advice.  I feel a lot better about it now having some tips to get ready.  I was anxious about having to use the football hold - the nurse tried to make me use that hold after my first child was born and I found it really awkward. So it is great to hear that it is not necessarily the only possibility.  Thanks again for sharing!
My first two children were born vaginally and both breastfed.  Now I'm expecting my third child, but this birth will be a cesarean. Even though I'm an experienced breastfeeder (69 months in total!), I'm feeling anxious about potential problems breastfeeding after a cesarean.  I've heard the hospital is very much pro skin-to-skin, so that should help, but any advice from moms who have breastfed after a cesarean?
Just a quick update.  I did eventually tell my mother, and while it was pretty horrible initially, she has had time to process it now and seems to be doing much better.  And I am extremely relieved to have that 'hiding' stage overwith.  Thanks again for all the support.
Thanks phathui5.  A good friend of mine is a doula and I asked her to be with me.  I think it will be reassuring to have her there for both me and my dh, even just to have someone to hold my hand if he has to leave for any reason.  She is (gently) encouraging me to talk to a friend of hers, a counsellor who specializes in birth trauma, but I am not sure if I want to dredge everything up.  I'm usually a calm, happy person and I cope with difficult things that have...
HappyHappyMommy, that is a really good idea, and I hadn't thought of it before..  Thank you!  I will ask my sister if she will be there with me.  I am starting to show now and I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.