or Connect

Posts by RuthieJ

Oh, sooo familiar!  My 4 yo DD reacts the exact same way to screen time.  She had never watched a movie before, but last Christmas we decided to watch one together for a special treat.  She got so freaked out we never did it again!  The interesting thing is, my 2yo DS is completely nonchalant about the TV.  DD can't even hear someone talking to her if she's watching a cartoon.  DS can easily get up and walk away, play with toys, wander back again.  Just totally different...
Thank you so much to all for your kindness, helpful advice and links, and for sharing your own stories. The blog mentioned by loveneverfails was inspiring, I'd definitely recommend it to others. The woman who writes it had a very similar second birth to mine, and it was so interesting to read about her decision-making process when she got pregnant with her third.  I haven't told anyone else yet that I am pregnant so it is amazing to have a support network here.  It makes...
Hi hippymama25.   I'm a university health researcher and have done a lot of work on obesity.  We all get distressed with the scale from time to time, and it is only encouraged by our fat-focused society.  But the more I've learned, the more I realize that what is important is not weight or BMI (which might be helpful for demographics, but not individuals), but your health!  And that means, above all, feeling well, both physically and mentally.  I agree with the posters...
Wondering if there are any mamas out there who have experienced a peaceful birth with planned c-section?    I just found out that I am pregnant with my third child (very unplanned, but already loved). I am a strong supporter of natural homebirth and I have two children: both were unmedicated births, one at home.  But the second birth was very traumatic. DD, my first child, was born without complications, 12 hours of labour but not unmanageable, we had no midwife so...
Ultimately, when it comes to car seats or any other parenting issue, I think each of us has to make the best judgement that we can, weighing out the benefits and disadvantages to decide what is right for our own children and for ourselves, depending on the unique circumstances we find ourselves in.  The research definitely points towards RF as safer, and it's really important to promote that, but I don't think we should judge parents who decide that FF works best for...
Thank you very much, everyone.  It means a lot to hear about other moms' experiences, and thank you for the reminders that the next experience could be quite different.  I definitely need to wait a few more years before trying for another child, but at that time I'll have a good talk with my mother about it, and I'll make sure that she is as far away from the birth as possible, and only hears about it after the fact.  (I have tried to talk to her about PTSD, but she...
I haven't seen anyone else here mention this, but we had to turn our daughter to FF when she was just 18 months old, because she was so sick in the car.  It was at the point where she threw up on every drive.  We saw the doctor and the naturopath about it, but couldn't give her any relief.  Once we turned her from RF to FF, she was completely better.  Has anyone else had that problem with their LO?   Our 14-month-old is RF and having no problems though, so we'll keep him...
I had a very long and harrowing homebirth a year ago with my second child (he was 10 lbs, asynclitic, double-corded, and suffered a shoulder dystocia as he was being born that was very scary and resulted in the paramedics being called in).  I suffered PTSD symptoms for months after the birth, but with a very supportive partner, I've been feeling much better and I feel like I've made my peace with what happened as much as I can.   My mother was not present at the...
Thanks very much, both of you.  You made me feel much better!
I'm a breastfeeding, babywearing mama of two (aged 1 and 3), who feels very guilty not to be co-sleeping, especially since I've read so much research on how good it is for little ones.   But I've tried so hard so many times with both of my children, and we just can't seem to sleep in the same bed, or even in the same room!  Both slept with us as newborns, for the first few months, but now are in their own rooms.  The problem is, they both have so much trouble falling...