or Connect

Posts by ks3885

Anyone out there have experience co sleeping with a newborn and a toddler in a QUEEN bed?? we just bought a new frame and our bedroom isn't very big so there is NO way our bed size or frame status is changing anytime soon. bedframe has siderails so arms reach seems a waste since it's then basically no different than a bassinet, whcih eliminates the entire co sleeping feel and purpose (ie, more sleep for me!).
wohooooooo you go girl! home birth rocks!! wishing you an amazing experience. you deserve it!
Can I also add that CP is VERY rarely due to actions during L&D? Of course I can't speak to this case bc I don't know the details, but just as an FYI: CP in an infant must meet 4 very stringent criteria in order to be diagnosed as being directly caused by actions during labor and delivery.  We learned ALLLLLLLL about it very recently in my CNM coursework. Unless a court has found her guilty of negligence and/or malpractice in this case and has ruled based on expert...
I was never asked, but I'm sure if I had SAID "I only want you and one other person there" it probably would have been fine. She would have probably just brought her most senior student and her partner midwife, or maybe just her and her partner midwife. I'm sure some of her mamas do that, but I've never known any of them. All of us loved her birth team (I'm in touch with a lot of the mamas whose births my midwife attended). And we all agreed that her birth team rocks!...
Also, it's really important for student midwives to get experience so future generations of women can go on to have awesome homebirths too! :-)
I had a homebirth with 2 midwives (my midwife and her partner) and THREE student midwives, plus our birth photographer. And it was AMAZING. Each of them helped out in their own ways and they all have different personalities but in the moment I honestly wasn't even paying them any attention. My midwife was the main one who spoke with me and provided the most verbal support to me face-to-face. The others were just doing other things like getting tea, helping me sip...
anyone else feel like when they pump they dont get as much as when the baby breastfeeds?? i only get about 1-1.5 oz per breast (i pump one boob while feeding him on the othger), and so it takes forever to pump enough for the baby to have 1 bottle. any tips? I need to get some coursework done since im a FT gtrad student, so I need to pump sometimes and it's just not working right now!!! eek!
Haven't posted in a long time, but wanted to update: We had a beautiful and amazing home birth at 40 weeks and 2 days and 13 hours from start to finish of intense OP back labor. he mustve turned at some point while pushing (35 minutes of it) because he was born OA, but my entire labor just felt like searing bone-on-bone grating back pain. I am still on a high from it. He is our first baby and I expected to be in labor forever, yadda yadda, and it all just went so...
Paying over $5k here in the Boston area to have a C-section risk of about 10% compared to 30-40% in the local hospitals, to not be pressured to induce, to eat real food snacks with my midwife at our hour-long prenatals, to experience real labor support for as long as it takes, for an ardent fighter for our wishes to be upheld to the extent possible if we have to transfer, to have a choice in my position of labor, pushing, and birth; to have uninterrupted face time with my...
For those of you who are first-timers (and those not too!), what feelings do you get when you think about the labor and birth that's coming up? I'm super EXCITED but also quite nervous, almost like before going on a rollercoaster, or before a big performance. Butterflies-in-your-stomach feelings. I'm also an L&D nurse and student nurse-midwife, so I imagine all different scenarios and am affected as well by things I see happen to my patients, who then surface in my dreams...