or Connect

Posts by ks3885

WOW that's a long list. I thought we were pretty much set, and we have mmm like, 1/18th of that list! haha. But we have a teeny tiny 500 sq foot apartment and will be here for another year, so that's part of it. No room for crib or even really for a co-sleeper. We splurged on (what I so far think) is an AWESOME stroller, which has a Moses basket/bassinet attachment which I will use for naps in the first couple of months, and if I don't feel comfortable co-sleeping, for...
It was only our first go-round trying, and I wasn't even sure I'd ovulated (I tested for ovulation a couple of times during the cycle, but I ovulate late in my cycle, so I never got a positive result). I hadn't gotten my period but had some spots of bright red bleeding after we'd had sex the past couple of days. I had also taken a pregnancy test on the first day of my missed period and it was negative, so I just assumed it was a no-go that month. But after the weird...
Hey all, did anyone rent a tub for their home labor/birth in the Boston area? How much did it cost you? I've just started becoming interested but it will be a no-go if it's crazy expensive. In the $200 range I can cover. Thanks in advance!
We're planning a homebirth with our first this March/April and loving it. I think the most important things are the 'protocols' your midwife is comfortable with/encourages/her philosophy...like, GDM, GBS, SROM before labor, all that stuff, like vaginal exams at the end of pregnancy etc. I would also emphasize the importance of trusting your midwife and feeling really comfortable with her as your provider. The vibe you get, all that good stuff when you meet with...
I think it sounds like a uterine infection (endometritis) and I would definitely go to the ER if you have no insurance and no other option. You need antibiotics immediately. Possibly IV, but maybe not if you have no fever. If your bleeding is significantly more than it was, that in itself is reason to seek medical attention. Go get some help now!
Are any of you having your hubbies/partners read any labor preparation books? My husband is very supportive but totally ignorant of all things childbirth-related and basically just goes with whatever I say, and I'm not sure he'd be really engaged in a book, but I'd love to have him read SOMETHING. I mean, the poor man is going to be blown out of his wits when he sees real labor! I know our childbirth ed class with our midwife will be really educational for him, but I'm...
Our midwife teaches a class which I'm really excited about bc she's awesome. So that's what we're doing. Her class focuses on the Hypnobirthing method of pain management. I've been slacking on the prep for pain management so it will be good to take the class!! Plus it's taught in her house to people planning homebirths with her (or other homebirth midwives) so we won't have to deal with the whole "when you get your epidural" or "after your elective C section" class or...
I am so frustrated because BCBS (in MA, our state) which is what we have always USED to cover HB but THIS YEAR as of OCTOBER 2009 (we are due in April of 2010) HB is no longer covered unless it is an emergency and handled by a CNM or MD. Just my luck!!!!!!!!!!! and my midwife (a CPM) is NOT CHEAP!!!!! totally worth it, but still!! yikes.
I think after much deliberation, we have decided to NOT have an US. The only reason I was wanting one was sort of selfish, to see the baby which I thought would be fun, and its such a 'norm' that I think most people don't even ask if you're having one bc they assume. Working in the OB biz as well, I feel pressure bc IF something is wrong or anything, I feel that I will definitely be judged by my peers and coworkers forever for not having 'done everything' to rule out...
Hi all. I am an L&D nurse so I never even considered NOT getting tested for GBS since I have seen babies infected, and have heard of at least one death from late-onset GBS infection at my job. However, I have also recently been doing a lot of reading of research articles from different countries, and in the UK they don't even screen for GBS unless there are risk factors such as PTL, etc. To me that just seems strange since if you come in in PTL, they'll probably not have...