or Connect

Posts by koby58

My DDs middle school had drug busts for even the sixth graders. There was one year on 4/20 that kids were doing lines of coke off their school ids in class. Sad yes, but it does happen. Two years ago there was a pregnant seventh grader. There were never any gun/knives issues in middle school but about a month ago a fifteen year old stabbed someone across the street from the school. That being said we live in a nice area, but one of the areas a little farther out has...
To clear it up: DD2 knows this boy both inside and out of theater. They are (were) friends due to DD2 being good friends with his older sister and being involved in an outside theater company as well as the theater inside of school. The current show is DDs last one at her high school before she graduates, so there will be no pulling DD out of anything. And to note, this is not just the actors being harassed. John is an actor but DD is stage manager and her friends are...
I've only read parts of this thread. DD1 is a lesbian and has been dating the same girl for - gosh, almost five years now. DD2 has been dating the same boy for a year and a half. Are they both sexually active? Yes. Neither one has their significant other sleepover. (DD1 will sleep over at her girlfriends house though.) However, we're talking about teenagers and the possibility of pregnancy so I'll just talk about DD2.   Her boyfriend is not allowed to sleep over...
I apologize for the long-windedness of this in advance but I am fuming right now. Also, the more details I give now the better understanding you will have.   DD2 is in theater. She loves theater, theater is her home, the theater kids understand her, etc. DD2 has a friend who for these purposes I will call ‘John.’ John is a nice kid. He’s very friendly and his older sister is one of DD2’s closest friends. John is a sophomore in high school, so fifteen or sixteen. He’s...
Jeannine - the horrible irony about the 'kidnapping' statement was the teacher that DD2 asked about being called out teaches the schools law class in which her father (a lawyer) was coming to speak to. DD2 did correct her the next day about the kidnapping statement - she cited that her dad had never been a threat, and if he had been why the heck would she bring him to school with her? She also noted the terrible offensiveness of the comment (especially, as the father of...
Calling the school to tell them she's missing a class. If you don't give them one of three responses (my child is sick, my child is visiting a college, my child has a funeral to attend) the people in the office will question you rudely. Sometimes they will ask for proof or note that your child seems to be missing the same few periods and ask why that is. (The answer of course being that she is missing her non-academic classes because she is taking all AP.) I'll be very...
DD2 is eighteen and a senior. Her father is coming to speak at her school tomorrow. DD2 is super excited about it and he asked if he could take her out to lunch afterwords. (First time in over a year and a half they will do something alone together!) She asked if I would call her out of one of her classes so she didn't have to worry about timing and I agreed.   Legally, she isn't allowed to call herself out even though she's eighteen. The other day she was sick and I...
Have you ever had your children cross it?   My DD is going through some issues at her dad house right now and I think part of it may be her mothering of her half-sisters. DD1 does the same thing when she is home. (My kids are 18 and 21 and their sisters are 8 and 2). She finds being there very frustrating because she has very set views on what is right and what is wrong with taking care of kids (i.e. showering more than once a week, not giving them cookies before...
DD2 just turned eighteen in January. From me she got all seven Harry Potter books in hard cover. She's a huge fan and now she can take them all to college with her, which is exactly what she wanted. Her stepdad got her the first two seasons of her favorite tv show, once again, for college. From her dad she got a Tiffany's charm bracelet.   For the sentimental factor, a charm bracelet is good.I particularly enjoy the Italian Charm bracelets that link instead of having...
I think this is the right place. If not, please move. My DDs have two (half) sisters. The older one is seven, eight in January. She is a smart, serious girl who wants to be an artist when she grows up. And she loves art. All kinds. DDs want to take her to the Art Institute (we're in Chicago) over Winter Break when DD1 is home. They have a kids section there where there is interactive art and miniatures and other things to do, but most of the museum is not. She has gone to...