or Connect

Posts by sarahtar

Digging up an old thread here, but if the OP is still around, I'm wondering how your DD is doing? My son was born with CKD Stage 5 about a year ago. He has a displastic right kidney and his left kidney was damaged from reflux and a UPJ obstruction. He has just the tiniest smidge of kidney function remaining and we're starting transplant workup, anticipating that he will hit 10 kilos this spring and then we can proceed with the actual transplant. We're starting growth...
Or fermented sauerkraut - or the juice from fermented sauerkraut. or any fermented veggies, though I'd have to start with low-potassium veggies (so no carrots).
Can anyone point me to the nutritional information of water kefir? I'm trying to find fermented foods I can feed to my 1 year old with kidney failure. Thanks.
My son got his PD catheter at 2 weeks, but we were able to let it get nice and healed up before having to start dialysis, which we will do on Monday (at 2 months). We decided to put in a G-tube while we still had a bit of time before things got too bad, so we are in the hospital recovering from that surgery, which was this morning. His fourth. I'm really struggling with the vaccine thing. We haven't vaccinated our other kids, but essentially have to vaccinate this one. It...
I'm planning to head in to the hospital with my 2 month old tomorrow for surgery and dialysis. I have clothes for him packed, but am unsure if I should pack (disposable) diapers? Our (glass) bottles? (I would love to bring our cloth dipes, but I won't have any way to do laundry often enough.) The last time we were in the hospital with him, we were admitted via emergency/ambulence, and I didn't have anything for either of us, and it was no big deal, but that was in the...
My now 6 week old was diagnosed with kidney failure at 6 days old. We had watched hydronephrosis (caused by reflux) slowly destroy his left kidney in utero, but had held hope that his right kidney would be fine. At about 34 weeks in the pregnancy, we discovered his right kidney was dysplastic. It had a small amount of function (at least, it made urine) after he was born, but by 2 weeks, it had stopped making urine entirely. Right now, the little bit of his left kidney...
Just hoping to chat with, compare notes, etc., with other parents of infants with end stage renal disease. I've found some groups of parents of kidney patients online, but none with a sizeable population of natural parenting folks. Thanks.
Hoping to connect with other mamas whose babies have kidney failure. Thanks.
Our family doesn't normally vaccinate for anything. Our third baby has kidney failure. He will start dialysis soon (he is 4 weeks old now) and will undergo a kidney transplant as soon as possible (he has to be 22 lbs). He will be on immunosuppressive drugs after the transplant. Could you please give me your thoughts on vaccines in this case? The neonatologist in the NICU of course advised all vaccines, and also vaccinating our older children, but I am pretty sure that is...
He actually arrived a month early, on 11/26, a medically necessary induction. I kind of stopped participating in the DDC here midway thru the pregnancy, I just couldn't deal with it emotionally any more as every week seemed to bring us some new piece of bad news regarding the pregnancy and the baby - I didn't want to bring everyone down, but I couldn't pretend things were fine, either. Our baby has kidney failure. We've just returned home from 3 weeks in the NICU at the...