or Connect

Posts by Cyllya

From my experience, the tedium of repetition was a problem that occurred with the non-gifted classes, not the gifted program.   In elementary school, I was in a one-day-per-week pull-out program, which just learned entirely different material, NOT learning the same material that would be taught at a later time in elementary school. In junior high and high school, being in the advanced classes did mean learning things earlier, but while on that track, you would never be...
Dogs are generally classified as canis lupis familiaris, a subspecies of grey wolf. Not even a separate species. I've heard some taxonomists want to change it to canis familiaris, but even then dogs would still be in the same genus as wolves. There aren't any surviving species that are in the same genus as humans.
Yeah, it was funny. I tend to feel pretty anti-school, so I agree with most of what he said... but I don't think I agree with how he actually feels. This sounds like a vent from someone who is mostly satisfied with school, who is annoyed by the downsides, but doesn't actually want to change.   The idea of classes called Morality or Marriage makes me cringe, but it does seem like the school system is pretty devoid of general life skills that don't fall under a certain...
In my eyes, "my daughter would never be allowed to wear skirts without shorts underneath" when the kid is six is pretty much equivalent to "my daughter would never be allowed to have visible leg hair" when she's 14. They're both stupid, useless, superficial social convention requirements that make no sense except maybe as some kind of religious proscription. (I mean it makes no sense that they're required. If you just personally prefer to wear shorts under your skirt and...
Has he tried for a GED? Perhaps he'll find it easier than your original plan, plus without you feeling like you're giving him a fake diploma. I can see the mental health problems interfering with that too though.
I think my 18-year-old self would be pretty disappointed at my lack of success and at my mental health issues... tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt but almost no job skills or life skills... but probably not all that surprised about anything except for me wanting kids and maybe that I had a boyfriend/fiance for a while.   It's my 20-year-old self that would be really horrified. 
I found the numerous examples, discussions, and debates on Sandra Dodd's website useful for getting my head around unschooling. It's about radical unschooling, but if you're not into that, you can take what you want and leave the rest.
If you mean gross as in "a food I would very much NOT enjoy eating (unless it was thoroughly hidden in some other food)" then I'm guessing it'll rank pretty high on my gross scale, especially raw. I don't know, I've never had it. But I'm a pretty picky eater, so the placenta is in good company....   But generally when people talk about placentophagy being gross, they're bothered by even the idea of it. Even the thought of other people eating it grosses them out. This...
  I vehemently agree with everything about this post.   I'm also against keeping children ignorant of sex any longer than absolutely necessary.
Well, I don't have much help, but I wanted to sympathize. My symptoms are a little different than yours, but it could be a related problem. About a year ago, I had missing or sparse periods for a couple months, and then they became longer and more frequent until I bled everyday for three months. I didn't get painfully large chunks until after I started the birth control, but there were oddly numerous small chunks. Sometimes I've had days where the blood flow is so heavy...