or Connect

Posts by ZoraP

I agree. It seems strange to chide people on this thread for not choosing FAM/NFP when several of us have used it (in my case for a decade and a half!) and are ready for a change of pace for very logical reasons. And I didn't see a lot of people jumping on the hormonal bandwagon anyway (although that's likely to be the best choice for some people in any case).
Hang in there! Get help if you think you're having postpartum issues of any kind. But also be aware that it's completely normal to feel the way you do right now. I had my second child when my first was just turning three (and still an avid daily nurser). I too toughed it out during pregnancy, during which my toddler nursed every day (including when I was in labor and right after delivery!). But after my new baby was born I found nursing the toddler to be nearly...
We used FAM for fifteen years, which worked very well for us. We avoided conception except when we wanted a baby, and then we conceived right away. The third child was an "oops," though, partly due to the fact that I was always more willing to bend the rules when I was more "in the mood" (i.e., fertile). It's hard to keep track of everything for all those years without it becoming a drag at some point. So after the third was born I decided on a copper IUD. Despite the...
I have a copper IUD that was inserted at my 6-week checkup. That was a good way to go, because it didn't hurt and then I didn't have periods for months afterwards (because of breastfeeding). I did have cramping for a day or two and then spotting on and off for 2-3 weeks after insertion, but from that point I've been able to just forget about it. My fertility is only now returning (bb is 11 months old), but so far my first and second periods have seemed normal, perhaps even...
I had a needy almost-three-year-old when my second was born. My husband was also working constantly at the time and was not available to offer much help or support. (Also no family nearby.) Thank goodness the second was easy-going; she was ignored a lot. On the other hand, I nursed her (in tandem with the older sister for over a year) into toddlerhood and also developed a very special, close relationship with her, so looking back on it I guess we did better than I felt at...
I have three kids, which is why I haven't been on here in ages. But in our case the spacing is different -- the first two are 3 years apart and the last one came 7 years after that. (There's exactly a 10-year gap between no. 1 and no. 3!) I found adjusting to two very difficult (high-needs first child, tandem nursing for over a year, etc.). But adjusting to the third has been just wonderful for all of us. The older two are self-sufficient and helpful and dote on the...
Who would have thought there'd be anything left to add in this thread by now? But it just occurred to me to add that it's worth buying some nice small flannel squares for wipes, too. I actually made our wipes myself out of an old flannel sheet for my first baby, and we're still using most of them on the third! Can't recommend them highly enough. I also suggest just using plain water to clean the baby's bottom -- we hardly ever get rashes and I don't use any kind of soap...
I second the idea of more structure -- most people (not just kids!) benefit from a routine of some type. Unschooling can still be done within a routine schedule so that everyone knows what to expect at what time of day. Also, is everyone getting enough sleep? So much surly behavior could be a sleep or food issue -- look into sleep and nutrition for clues. Also think about exercise -- if they're running around outside a lot that may be enough, but perhaps some kind of...
My babies have all spit up a lot. They're all fine. If yours is jolly and growing well it just means he's filling his tummy a bit too full and something has to come back up. Like Dr. Sears says, spit up is a laundry problem, not a health problem.
If you're already scheduled for this course it's not likely to completely gross you out, right? (Or you wouldn't be taking it in the first place.) I assume you'd be wearing gloves and perhaps a mask when you work with the specimens, wouldn't you? How much exposure is there likely to be, and what chemicals are the most likely to cause harm? I'd be concerned about the morning sickness aspect if you're affected by it; personally, I never have had much so it wouldn't have made...