or Connect

Posts by Mami

I'm also confused I haven't posted in a while, would that preclude me from posting in the TPISO...??
Oh, and to answer your question about whether my dd is choosing veggies/fruit..... sometimes. Today she had an apple, bowl of yoghurt, butter sandwich, pistachios, bowl of cracked wheat noodles with cheese, a small vanilla ice cream cone, a couple of pumpkin muffins and she turned down the chocolate chips dh offered her. To drink she had water, a small cup of applejuice/water and a small chocolate milk/ice cream shake. (As you can see, ice cream is in the picture again but...
Shauna - I understand your concern about the junk foods. I know those exact kids who eat only junk and are overweight/obese. A couple things I've observed: there usually is some issue made about the junk they eat or their weight, whether openly or not. Also, they may still be getting the 'forbidden' message about the junk and guilt for wanting it all the time. The theory in PCEP is that people don't get fat from eating junk but rather from overeating. I'm not sure I 100%...
As far as mealtimes go, in the PCEP book they don't advocate making children eat at predetermined times but that doesn't stop you having a mealtime for yourself & whoever wants to eat at that time. Also, it is perfectly fair to set limits, such as 'I'm cooking lunch/dinner now, what would you like?'. If they don't specify or aren't hungry at that time they can always get something from the many non-cooking foods that are available when they're ready. You shouldn't be...
The book I read is 'Preventing childhood eating problems', I got it from the library but I also just found it here. It took me about 60 pages before I was ready to give this a try, I was a bit incredulous at first. So far, things have gone better than I expected.
I know what you're saying Meg and you may be right. For sure, if your child has allergies you need to control his intake of those foods. There is a chapter in the book that addresses that issue. As far as addictions, I agree, some people tend to those things more than others. I still wonder if the tendency isn't increased by the sense of 'the forbidden'. I have tested this on myself, one day I bought a (big) bag of M&M's and I binged on them for oh, 3 days or so. Well,...
I just finished reading 'Preventing childhood eating problems' and you are exactly describing their philosophy. I was skeptical at first but I have been doing this with my daughter for the last few weeks and although we had several days where she only ate chocolate or ice cream, we now have a full box of cookies, chocolate, candy and ice cream sitting completely untouched within her reach and she's asking for egg or (whole grain) pasta w/pesto instead. The best part is...
My (just) 4 yo dd really wants to knit . She has 'helped' me knit a few stitches here and there but then she want to take the whole thing and 'do it her way' which translates into 'ruin my work'. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how I might teach her to knit or if there's maybe a step before knitting that she can try at her age. I remember having some kind of knitting doll as a kid where you basically hooked the stitches over little hooks and a long 'snake' kind of...
Actually, my dd would not eat when she gets hungry, she would crash and get cranky and tantrum (just like her dad ). Then she would get beyond hungry and still refuse to eat. I have better success with reminding her that it's mealtime and that we need to eat something so we don't get cranky (and so our body gets good food to grow and stay healthy of course). I also don't believe that if I allow her 'snacks', which are basically partial meals, that she's learning that...
Thank you all for your ideas. I don't get the 'don't let your kid be picky' thing either... I guess unless you have a picky kid you just won't understand. If I gave my dd a choice of what we're eating or nothing, it would be nothing and she doesn't exactly have a whole lot to spare. I don't cook full out meals for her anyway so it's more like while I'm making our meal I heat up her quesadilla or scramble an egg. Unfortunately she won't do smoothies, I think she has an...