or Connect

Posts by ollyoxenfree

Now you have me intrigued, lol! I don't know why I've left it on the library shelf when I've seen it there, since I like Atkinson's work so much. I will have to check it out, thanks! I admire how Atkinson masters any genre she turns to - the Brodie detective mysteries and now science fiction (of a sorts) in Life After Life.   Life After Life isn't exactly traditional science fiction/fantasy but I thought she handled those aspects with great skill. The scenes in the London...
 No, I haven't, for some unknown reason. I liked the Jackson Brodie books. I was sad to read that she isn't likely to write any more about him. I may try the short story collection based on your post. I was planning on reading some Alice Munro soon and it might be fun to read a few different short story writers for variety. It's been at least 10 years since I read any Munro and when she won the Nobel I was struggling to remember which collections I'd read and which ones...
  Hah! Haven't bought anything yet. Not disciplined, just kinda lazy about it. We decorated the house today and I'm planning on picking up some candy and a pumpkin for carving tomorrow. I was just trying to decide whether to buy something reasonably healthy or just say the heck with it and get something full of sugar. I usually buy "nut-free" treats at least, since there seem to be a few nut intolerant/allergic children in the area.  I also can't decide how much to buy. We...
Journeymom, that's wonderful! I hope the start-up difficulties are smoothed out soon.    Today both "kids" (they are 20 and 17 y.o.) were home this afternoon. It was a beautiful, crisp fall day. I got a big pot of chili simmering on the stove. Then we hauled out the Hallowe'en decorations. We now have a graveyard on the front lawn with bloody limbs and bones and skulls strewn about, the house is under attack from huge spiders and draped in cobweb and there's a few other...
     Summer is long gone but I'm updating now because the library finally delivered this book to me. I just finished it. I loved it. Despite my trepidation about the premise, I found it was a wonderful exploration of life and death and all the "what ifs" of living. I also loved the celebration of all things English (especially pudding), rich symbolism, clever use of names (lots of virgin saints), prolific literary allusions and references and quotations....  
 Ouch! I hope you're feeling better today.  Sigh. No idea what to do tonight. DH is out of town, DS hasn't said whether he will be in, DD said she was going out with friends but then said she wasn't and I'm sure that could change again (many times) before dinnertime...... Pasta may be the answer since it's easy to expand or shrink the number of servings at the last minute and leftover sauce is never a problem.  
I own it, embrace it even. I find it removes the wind from the sails of that argument. Sometimes it's even funny. I've been the first one to say it in a discussion if I hear something like "Johnny's mom lets him.....". My response - "Well, then, Johnny is lucky, but since you've got the meanest mom in the world...." We'll go on and discuss my reasons..."I'm the meanest mom because these standards/expectations etc. apply in our family.....". But we will also discuss their...
 I have only seen one episode of Chopped so can't really comment on it. I am not a fan of Gordon Ramsey but DD wanted to watch MasterChef Junior last week so I watched it with her. I am impressed by the kids. They are very accomplished cooks considering how young they are. I am a little skeptical about how much help they are getting. I think there was some evidence that survived the tight editing that makes it look like they are doing it completely unsupervised. I also...
We discuss the fallout from consumption of alcohol and other drugs in terms of the need to protect personal safety and maintain responsibility in all sorts of circumstances, not just sexual assault. They need to be very careful with anything that impairs judgement and diminishes their physical and mental abilities to take action. If you are intoxicated, you are in a very vulnerable state. You could find yourself in all sorts of unsafe situations. It could be getting into a...
Infrequently. I have few clothing items that need ironing but I tend to avoid wearing them. Generally, the kids and I are pretty wrinkled. DH irons his own business shirts for work.   In some ways, I think this is one of the few areas where women have an advantage in the flexibility of their wardrobes and what's accepted as appropriate business wear. When I had a professional office job, I had a nice selection of knitwear eg. matching cardigans and camisoles, knitted...