or Connect

Posts by ollyoxenfree

I decided try the cream cheese mixture as the filling for cinnamon rolls. I figured the egg in the mixture would at least be thoroughly baked. It wasn't exactly a success, but it wasn't a disaster either. As a filling, it was still a little too wet and was mostly absorbed into the sweet bread dough as it baked. The rolls baked up nicely though. They were very tasty and it didn't affect the texture of the final baked product.    Next time I make the pumpkin muffins, I...
Wow! Thanks for such quick replies! You've given me some good ideas. I'm a little too tired to do anything with it tonight and I'm busy all day tomorrow. I'm hoping it will hold for a day and then I can figure out what to do with it.   You are all awesome, thanks again! ​
Hm, I'm realizing that I often count out the change on the counter and leave it to be picked up rather than placing it directly into the clerk's hand. I worked in retail in my younger days and it never struck me as rude to do this. Often I'm counting it out as the clerk is bagging items or otherwise not paying close attention. It's easier to re-count if the coins are left on the counter.   I do smooth out bills before handing them over. In fact, it's a little OCD but...
 Same here. The private schools congratulate themselves on the amount of homework that they expect from students. It's a point of pride  for them. I believe the parents and schools see it as a visible marker of "value for money". The thinking is that if you're paying tens of thousands of dollars per term, then there should be some conspicuous product generated for that amount of money. 
DD and I made pumpkin muffins with cream cheese filling today. I've done cream cheese frostings for cakes but wasn't sure about baking it into a muffin. So I tried this new recipe. For the cream cheese filling, it calls for 8 oz. cream cheese, sugar, 1 egg and a little vanilla.    Well, the egg was a bad idea. It made it very runny. I added about a cup of extra confectioner's sugar to try to thicken it up. We tested the filling in a half-dozen muffins. The filling was...
 I haven't tried Korean miso soup, but that's sort of what my noodle soup looks like. Loaded with sliced carrot and red pepper and maybe broccoli or green beans or whatever else is in the fridge. Mushroom if I can get away with it. Topped with some green onion and cilantro.  Tonight we had grilled sausages - choice of sweet Tuscan or chorizo - and fresh corn on the cob from the farmer's market. It's probably the last of the fresh corn for this year in these parts. The...
I agree that the placement of the subfora for Books and Television under the title "Arts and Crafts" is weird and non-intuitive. I noticed the shuffling awhile ago and thought it was odd. I don't post much in the Television forum, unless something catches my eye in New Posts, but I do wander through the Books forum fairly frequently. It isn't a big deal, just kind of odd.    It seems that "Leisure Activities" or something similar would be a more accurate title for the...
 LOL! That happens to me all the time.  I make up my menu list on Saturday or Sunday before I go to the market and the grocer's, but by Tuesday I've changed it up. Usually, it's to accommodate everyone's changing schedules.  I seem to be sticking to Asian flavours lately. I want something simple tonight. I'm planning on Miso soup with ramen and sliced veggies. I'm going to be near Chinatown later on. I'm hoping to have a little extra time to pick up some kaffir lime...
I made gyoza (dumplings with ground chicken), veggie stir fry and sticky rice. I've made gyoza before but with only so-so results. This batch turned out really well, so I'll have to make notes of everything I did for future reference.    Tonight is a mystery. DH asked me to pick up ingredients including chicken and lemons and phyllo pastry. He won't tell me exactly what he is planning but some sort of Mediterranean chicken pie, I guess.