or Connect

Posts by ollyoxenfree

It was one of those days when the meal plan went out the window. Actually, first it flew around the room, turned around a couple of times and THEN flew out the window.    First, it was going to be me, DS and DD at home for dinner. DH said he was going out with a friend. I planned to cook thai noodles with ground chicken. It's something the kids like.    Then DS called from work and said he wouldn't be home for dinner, so it would be just me and DD. Time to adjust the...
 That sounds like a great opportunity. If your school administration is flexible, perhaps it could be organized as an Independent Study. That way, her home school will grade her work (essays, projects, portfolio, whatever she generates) and grant the course credit. You won't have to worry about transferring credits between two different countries and different school systems.  DD's study programs have been through local organizations in or near our city. They hire teachers...
*We just got the final report from DD's summer course so I thought I would offer a few thoughts in case anyone is considering this kind of program.*    She had an incredible experience in Tanzania. She was with a group of 2 dozen students and 3 teachers. She studied 2 high school courses, English and Global Issues. I don't want to make this post any longer and I could say a lot more about "study abroad" programs and courses/credits while travelling. Perhaps that deserves...
Instead of baked beans or pasta for DD's friend, last night I made risotto. The friend cancelled though. DS isn't here for dinner tonight and since baked beans are his thing and DD isn't so fond of them, I'll do them another day instead. That leaves me scrambling a little for tonight.    I'd like to make lentil soup but DD doesn't like it. I could make broccoli and cheddar soup again but we just had that about a week ago. It's going to be a last-minute, game day...
 No need to apologise! I also struggle with SAD but I usually feel it much later in the depths of winter.  I like the crisp, golden days that autumn brings. For that matter, I like the snowy bright cold days of winter too. I don't like the endless gloom that descends though or the slush that I slog through for days and weeks or the dreary suffocating dry overheated interiors of winter.  So I understand completely.  
Thanks for sharing your story, USAmma. I like reading about others' experiences.    It's unfortunate that the gifted program in your area has such a workload issue. The gifted program option worked well for my dc through to the end of middle school. It was a place where they found a supportive administration and understanding, experienced teachers who provided a stimulating and creative classroom environment and best of all, like-minded peers in the classroom. It wasn't...
I was given my grandmother's wooden nursing rocker. It was a lovely looking piece of furniture. It had a spindle back and no arms. It was THE MOST uncomfortable thing to nurse in. I have no idea how she did it with 5 kids. (I suspect she didn't).    Anyway, I discovered I liked sitting in a solid, large chair with arms and good padding.  I didn't particularly like rocking and my dc didn't seem to need it while nursing. I liked having an armchair with comfortably padded...
I can't comment on the racism aspect because I haven't seen the entire performance and I wasn't inclined to watch it. I have seen highlights though.  My first response to the sexualized moves was basically an eye-rolling, shoulder-shrugging, "what can you expect at the MVA's?", along with a kind of pity for a sad, desperate, attention-seeking Miley Cyrus.     Having read the posts here, from people whose opinion I respect, I am wondering about the exploitative and female...
Do you mean developing early oral language skills in an infant? Or learning a non-native language?    If it's the former, I think simple language exposure is most helpful. The earlier, the better. It may seem odd to have a one-way conversation with a newborn who  doesn't reply verbally. However, I always found that they related to the sound of my voice, and the tone and inflections. Playing with language is important too, such as repeating the baby's babbling back to...
Fun game. I didn't want you to think I don't want to play. I'm just having a lapse in creativity and can't think of a good item to offer.    BTW, I knew what that was immediately. We still have a few 45's because DS bought a turntable a couple of years ago.    Hope to come back shortly with an object.