or Connect

Posts by ollyoxenfree

Monday - Tonight I cooked up a mess of chickpeas and made felafels and hummus  DD likes topping her felafel with tabboule, but I took a shortcut and just diced some cucumber, tomato, red onion, parsley and mint. Stuff a pita, dab with some harissa and yum!    Tuesday - Garlic tarragon chicken breasts, oven-roasted potato and broccoli (unless our dinner guest, DD's friend, prefers corn or peas).    Wednesday - Dd asked if she can invite another, different, friend to...
Missed this thread last month, but since it's been bumped up, I'll answer. Both dc did sleepovers from a fairly young age. I think DS was not yet 3 when he slept over at a good friend's house.   We've hosted a lot of sleepovers through the years. They are still happening . In the past couple of weeks, 17 y.o. DD had 4 friends over for a reunion from a summer trip and on another occasion, her BFF. 20 y.o. DS, who plays and promotes rock music shows in his spare time, just...
It's autumn!    I've been aware of the typical traditional signs of the end of summer. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the days are getting shorter - it was dusk while we were eating dinner. The squirrels are busy, busy, busy.  The leaves are changing colours. The farmer's market stalls have lots of squash and pumpkin and gourds. There were all the back-to-school sales and the dc started school again. So the change in seasons is not a secret or a surprise to me,...
 Yeah, I struggle much more with the idea of tattoos and piercings. I know it's their body and their autonomy and their choice, but I really resist the idea. I don't even mind tattoos and multiple piercings on other people, so the inconsistency is kinda crazy. In comparison, agreeing or supporting hair colouring is easy for me. 
 Quoting myself for some unattractive bragging. I just have to say that considering that I was simply trying to clean out my fridge by tossing together the chicken/tomato/green bean/olives and sun-dried tomato, it turned out to be delicious. I used the oil-marinade from the sun-dried tomato to saute the chicken and then threw in a chopped leek that was also uncovered during my chilly excavations, along with minced garlic. Added the tomato, a wilted half of a red pepper and...
Quote:Originally Posted by grumpybear  As far as who will administer the test... based on the school district website, it will be the school psych administering an IQ test. Do you feel that that may not be ideal?  No, if it's a fully qualified psychologist, that should be fine. I think that there can be good reasons for private testing (primarily maintaining control over the process and the report) but I wouldn't knee-jerk reject a professional simply because they choose...
Another thought, this time about your DS's teacher. All of my dc's teachers have kept a record for each student with their marks from every test, assignment, and in-class work. It's necessary in case a report card grade is incorrect. BTW, this has happened to us when a teacher didn't enter the information properly. We were able to figure out the problem and get it corrected quickly. Often, the teacher will also keep the tests and classroom worksheets, so that the student's...
Can you check on-line for your government's standards for the grade 3 curriculum?   Sorry, I'm not familiar with Denmark's (it is a Danish school, IIRC?) oversight for education. I don't know whether there are local and regional standards or a single country-wide standard. I know I have accessed fairly detailed curricular information from various education departments in different places where my kids have attended school.    Another possibility might be to try a...
No. For years I often went bra-less myself. DD likes wearing a bra though.  More than I did at the same age, but I was quite flat so I could never find bras that I liked at that age. I did take her to a specialty shop a couple of years ago and she's gone through the fitting process, so she knows about proper sizing. She likes shopping for pretty bras. We have fun going to Victoria's Secret and other shops. It's a mother-daughter bonding thing.   
Last night, I made a chicken-broccoli-green beans-almond stir fry with jasmine rice.   Now I have a few chicken thighs leftover that I didn't need to cook for the stir fry. I think I may just cook them with some field tomatoes from the market, olives and sun-dried tomato and fresh basil and serve them with some pan-roasted potato. Not sure about veggies - probably use up the last of the green beans too.