or Connect

Posts by ollyoxenfree

My kids had highlights and streaks done at a salon when they were about 8 or 9 y.o. They had fun trying to dye with Kool-Aid at about the same age. Their hair is dark though, so it didn't take very well.    They were both about 16 y.o. before they tried a complete dye job, with first bleaching out their natural colour and then using the dye. That's about the age when I figure it's really up to them. At that point, I've warned them about the problems of chemicals,...
I would start with some basics.    What kind of test instrument? There are many different tests of varying degrees of accuracy and reliability. Some tests will provide much more detailed information than others. An individual assessment is going to be more accurate and reliable than a group-administered test. Hoagies Gifted website has some information about various IQ tests. Once you know what test is being used, you can get some more specific information about it...
 Yes, of course it is. So I'm happy that he was straight-edge (no alcohol, no drugs) through his teen years, and so is he. That's the point - the title of the thread is about teens. Even now that he is an adult, his alcohol consumption is low. I mentioned it in the interests of being upfront. I didn't want to be misleading about whether  any substances were being consumed. 
It's a lot of changes for all of you to handle.    We moved a couple of times when my dc were around that age. I found a few things that helped:     Get them involved in packing and planning for the move. Unless cargo capacity and finances are an issue, let him help pack his stuff and choose what to bring. If he wants to bring every last toy, book and piece of clothing and he needs that security, then fine, let him. You can purge later, when he is settled in at the new...
I hope you let us know what she eventually settles on. It's always fun to hear what other children are doing and what they find fascinating.  
I called my parent "Mom" and "Dad".    20 y.o. DS calls us "Mom" and "Dad". 17 y.o. DD says "Mom" or "Mommy" and "Dad" or "Daddy". When he was small, DS called me "MumMum". When she was small, DD said "Momma" and "Dadda".  I miss that a lot but it would be a little odd to hear it from adult children.    When he was about 2 or 3 y.o., DS went through a phase of using our first names. It was cute but didn't last. Totally understandable - our first names were what he...
Coming back to this thread to mention a conversation I had with 20 y.o. DS yesterday. DS was straight-edge all through high school but will drink alcohol now. He has a course in Neurodevelopmental Pyschology this year in college. They are studying the complex brain development that happens during adolescence, comparing it to the development in infants. He's convinced that it's a bad idea for teens to use psychoactive substances, considering what is happening to their...
 I think you should treat yourself kindly about getting all this stuff done.  Life in a family with small children can be overwhelming because you are constantly thinking about all the stuff to do for many people and not just yourself or you and your DH.  Some stuff, like dishwashing and laundry, is just endlessly ongoing, as meemee says. It will never be done. If you haven't tried them, you may find organization tools helpful. Simple things like keeping ongoing lists for...
Forgot to mention that we also have Vegenaise for vegetarians to eat instead of traditional mayonnaise. It's eggless and dairy-free and uses non-GMO ingredients and it tastes fine.  
I like the idea of silver jewelry from an Etsy seller. That's the kind of thing that 17 y.o DD likes. We bought her a silver necklace at an artisan's fair last Christmas and she wears it everyday.    I dion't know any 16 y.o. who got a car for their birthday and we live in a fairly comfortable neighbourhood. Although, admittedly, there are classmates at DD's school who have their own cars, so who knows? But typically, it's bikes for birthdays or Christmas, not...