or Connect

Posts by ollyoxenfree

Over the years, my involvement has waxed and waned. These days, although I am currently a SAHM, I don't do much. However, DD is in high school now and there are fewer opportunities to do the volunteer stuff I really enjoy, like helping in the classroom and working with children. Last year, I helped with some wardrobe for a school production. I make donations (financial and otherwise) and attend fundraisers, but I don't have much desire to organize them anymore.    When...
Thanks for the update! Good to hear that it's going well. Keep us posted. 
 Hey, we had pasta with italian sausage last night too. With grape tomatoes and lots of basil. I tossed in some ricotta at the last minute and let it melt a little around the pasta.  Tonight, roast chicken with mashed potato, maple-glazed carrots, and roasted cauliflower. And a fresh baked boule of French Country bread. Yes, we have guests. 
 The value for my children was in having a fun, interesting place filled with fascinating materials (equipment, books, manipulatives), engaging and caring instructors, and a diverse group of friends to spend time with for a few hours in the morning. Not hard for us to understand the value at all.  
A few things I've done as a class rep/parent volunteer:    - Communication between the school/teacher and other parents. - Organizing other parent volunteers for special events (sports fair, end-of-school picnic) - Organizing (seeking suggestions/deciding and collecting donations from other parents) and purchasing end-of-year teacher gift - Helping with class yearbook - Helping with pizza lunches  - Volunteering on field trips  - Participating in school/teacher...
Hey, onyxfire, I'm sorry I didn't specifically provide you with suggestions for improving memory, which is what you requested. I was reminded elsewhere of a book that might be helpful:  Smart But Scattered by Peg Dawson and Richard Guare. There is also another book, Smart But Scattered Teens. Still not strictly memory development, so it may not be exactly what you were looking for, but possibly helpful. At least, I hope so. They deal with developing executive...
I'm fairly conflicted about it. Possibly even hypocritical. I've only indulged a few times in my life. I enjoyed it but I've never been inclined to go out of my way to obtain it or spend money on it.  When talking about it in the abstract, I think there are good arguments against criminalizing marijuana when alcohol is legal. It would make sense if there were similar regulations placed on both, overseeing production to ensure quality and safety and restricting...
I've never felt it necessary to outright ban or even place hard limits on electronics. Instead, I always encouraged a variety of activities. If the kids were attending a practice and a game for soccer or hockey twice a week, along with a drama rehearsal on another day, and playing outside with their friends after school, and walking the dog and making crafts and helping with dinner, it all added up to natural limits on their computer/t.v/game boy time every day.   When...
The weather has turned cool. Time to break out the soup/stew/casserole recipes. Last night I made a spicy red lentil dahl with basmati rice.    This week I will finally use up all those broccoli stems that I've frozen this summer. I'll use them by making broccoli and cheddar cheese soup. The stems were left over from all the broccoli salads we ate in the hot weather. 
Hm, I dunno. Babywearing is fairly common here although it's not an exclusive choice. Most people will also use strollers and swings and that sort of thing.  Breastfeeding was standard 20 years ago when I had my first, so I've always thought of it as "mainstream".     I find cloth diapering depends a lot on family circumstances. I know a number of people who would use cloth diapers more but don't.  If it's a 2-income family, then most of the time that means the child is...