or Connect

Posts by ollyoxenfree

I also want to give you kudos for realizing that it's your issue and to say that I understand. I have a 16 y.o. DD and she wears a lot of fairly revealing tank tops and midriff-baring tops. I don't really like it either but I've never insisted that she or her brother dress in a certain way, other than very infrequently for special occasions (Grandma's birthday, that sort of thing). In those cases, I've just indicated that they should be dressed "appropriately". They know...
  I don't really like carrying a bag. Often I'll just put my driver's licence, a bank card and credit card and maybe a little cash in my pocket. I won't even take my phone which makes my family very unhappy with me.    Lately, though, I've been forgetting to put the cards back in my wallet. I don't know if I've just got lots on my mind or it's an aging thing. A few times I've been on the road and realized that I'm driving and my licence isn't in my wallet or I'll want to...
Sending you lots of good vibes and hoping that you get some action for your DD soon.   60 IEP meetings in one year and no results - that's appalling.   The system you describe is unworkable. By insisting that teachers, parents and students cannot communicate directly and forcing everything through a cumbersome bureaucratic process for the mistaken purpose of "fairness" between students, they have removed the "individual" from "IEP".    Best wishes. Please...
I don't recall anything, but I admit it's been a very long time since my kids were that age! The directress should be able to tell you any important things that should be included, especially if there is something traditional particular to that school.    Enjoy the celebration! 
  Here's where I get a little hesitant and echo pp's cautionary comments. That doesn't sound very child-lead and it sounds different from what I've discussed. One tactic I used often was to listen to what they were telling me about what they did in school or what they were interested in. Basically, I would ask them to teach me and I would be quiet and pay attention. Then I might contribute a few leading questions -  "I wonder what would happen if...." or "Why does it...."...
Oh, and I don't use Facebook either. 
I find text messaging is a nice, fairly non-intrusive way to stay in contact. DS, who just finished his first year at college, is still at home right now, but considering moving out before the fall term starts. When we are apart for several days, we'll text message about once a day, just to say hello. A phone call or Skype once a week, along with e-mail, allows for more in-depth conversations.  When he moves out, I imagine we'll continue a similar pattern. 
I hope someone can offer some good advice.  Infants often go through a change in sleep patterns even if they are co-sleeping or using a crib, so it is possible that it's a stage. It can be due to growth patterns, teething, changes in daytime routines, or just one of those mysterious developmental changes. You may want to check out the "Life with a Babe" and "The Family Bed and Nighttime Parenting" fora as well.   Actually, I've never been to the "Family Bed" forum,...
    Anne is awesome, definitely. So is Emily (who is the literary character I think of when anyone mentions New Moon - not the magazine (sorry, I'm sure it's wonderful, I just wasn't aware of it when my DD was that age) and definitely NOT Bella!). And Valancy (The Blue Castle). Montgomery created wonderful female protagonists.    It's funny you mention Meg Murry and AWIT because I've seen the same criticism leveled at her character. I understand that in the later books,...
From what I recall, the summer solstice celebrations were a mix of age-appropriate scientific explanations about the solstice and some studies about the sun and the Earth and plant/animal growth and life cycles, as well as songs and games and stories about the sun.    The science involved things like demonstrations with a flashlight or a lamp and a model of the sun and the Earth. Students also often had started seedlings or had been working in the school garden at...