or Connect

Posts by Newbian Mama

Nia, of My Big Fat Greek Wedding fame, is an adoptive parent and she writes about adopting from the foster care system. I'lm on the fence about buying it after hearing her speak. Has anyone read her book yet?
Deborah - It sounds like LFS is similar to Catholic Charities and the like, they'll help anyone regardless of religious affiliation (or non-affiliation). Not sure about the "alternative lifestyle" though. I'm sure those religious charities are still judging against their own standards. What's making you lean towards LFS over AO?   PUH - I do remember you saying that (of course after having reread it, lol!). What a lovely idea to send each child home with a quilt! I...
Woohoo!!!!! I'm so happy for you. I think the anticipation of the home study is so much more nerve wracking than the actual visit. It's weird how the adoption practice isn't standard even statewide. As far as my age range, it's really 0-9 but I saw a child who's 11 on a waiting kids list. My social worker said it wouldn't look good to the kid's worker that my age range topped out at 9. I've tried to narrow down my range a bit but I can see attributes and challenges for...
I love everything you said My social worker wrote in my home study that I was open to a child up to the age of 12. I was silently freaking out when she said that thinking "omg, I am SO not ready for a teenager!"I'm so glad the first visit went well. The second and third will be much more comfortable. I'm one person so I only had two interviews. The first one we talked about my childhood up to today. The second visit was the fun one when we talked about the kid and how I...
That's a beautiful sentiment, Deborah. I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!  You must be so relieved! You have a beautiful family.
MountainMama - As others have posted, bottle nursing can be an incredible bonding experience with you child. Have you found a breastmilk donor bank in your area? The closest one to me pastuerizes the milk so I'm not even sure it's worth paying the very expensive price for it. New puppies are great. I can't wait to get a dog for our family.   Deborah - What do you mean by "living rainbow baby"? I know there are new Internet terms everyday and I haven't learned that...
PUH - Yay for your upcoming homestudy! I don't know how it will go for you but I must say I fretted an worried and cleaned for no reason. My social worker poked her head into each room, asked if the computer was going to remain in the kid's room (no) and then we sat in the living room to chat. I put out snacks and she didn't eat any at my house but took a few to go.   For this visit, will the worker speak to you as a couple or individually?   Great idea for lists...
How's everyone been? Any updates?   I finished my homestudy yesterday and now I'm in the wait again. Reminds me of TTC except now it's the 3ww instead of 2.
Thanks so much for responding. I was feeling like such a freak! You definitely have more stuff than I do so you're prepared in that way. Yay you I still need to clean my spare bedroom (probably this week) an rustle up some furniture. I don't know how you feel about second hand but have you tried CraigsList or Freecycle? Also try Amazon.com Warehouse Deals where they sell discounted items that have been returned. As far as baby must-haves, everyone is different. Food and...