or Connect

Posts by NightOwlwithowlet

I was born off the grid with no birth certificate and so were several of my siblings.  It was fine for our parents because they didn't have to prove anything.  But, I wanted to go to college, get job, and a passport.  The amount of time and money I spent to get a birth certificate and a SS# was insane.  I had to track down people who attended the delivery and get sworn affidavits, I had to find my childhood doctor (who had died) and get copies of my medical records, and...
Could she use another bathroom at the school?  The nurse's office or a visitor's bathroom?  I wouldn't wan to use the bathroom either.
I work full time in the summer and variable hours during the school year (15 to 40 a week).  My husband works from home and does some of the home schooling one or two days a weeks.  He also does some of the extracurriculars.  We have one nine year old.     It was doable for the first two years and actually went very well.  But, I am burnt out at this point.  It is partly related to job stress and the fact I juggle three jobs and the home schooling.  I am quitting one...
Setting boundaries about hitting and swearing is cool.  The rest of your post reeks of cliquey exclusion.  Do you know how difficult life is for kids who are different?  Probably not.  I'm guessing you have never cried tears of joy because your kid was invited to birthday party.  Or had your heart fill with joy because a neighbor kid knocked on the door and asked "Can Joey come out and play?"   I would die for the girl who lives next door because she was my son's...
We have delved deeper in depth then I intended with my then 8 year old.  For MLK day, we read some books on MLK and he started asking questions about what the Civil Rights Movement was.  So we read some children's books on the Civil Rights Movement.  When we were studying Ancient Civilizations, he had learned about slavery.  He was profoundly upset by the whole concept of slavery and he has struggled to reconcile the idea that slavery ever existed in the US.  He was...
My great aunt died from scarlet fever in the 1940's before the introduction on antibiotics.  I'm not a huge fan of antibiotic.  I've seen first hand the effects of the super bugs in my patients. I understand you want treat your daughter naturally, but scarlet fever is a systemic strep infection.  It is very serious.
We added several sets of shelves to my son's old play room.  It's basically a wide windowless hallway.  Between the kitchen and living room.  We store our books, a shelf for library books, arts and science supplies in there.  There is also a shelf for his projects and some maps on the walls.  We hardly ever use it, except for storage.  He prefers to do any achool related work in the living room where the lap top is or in the kitchen if I'm cooking or doing the dishes. ...
I think you are right, but I don't think my son is cognitively capable of knowing the difference and he needs some guidance.  My own experience with RU, which clearly colors my opinion, was that my parents abdicated responsibility to their children.  It wasn't liberating or fun, it down right terrifying for me.    I'm not saying anyone here is doing that, but when I hear or read RU, I just remember my parents' experiment with it.   
I don't unschool my son.  I was unschooled, home schooled, and attended a democratic school, which was basically unschooling at school.  I'm not judging anyone, but my personal experience is radical unschooling works for most children.  I know it didn't work for me, it didn't work for my siblings, and it didn't work for my parents in the long run.  I think unschooling can work under the right circumstances.       Happiness is important, but I don't think it is the...
The Intellego Unit Studies look great!  Has anyone used them?  I get the critical thinking catolog and I always want to order something, but it does seems pricey.  I sometimes take my son to Barnes and Nobles and we test drive the different work books.  We never write in them, but he tries a page or two writing in his note book to see if they are a good fit. I have to confess I am a curriculum junkie.  I want to buy it all.