or Connect

Posts by Pibble

Aha! I couldn't find the "search forums" function, either. You need to be signed in for it to appear!
My first child went straight from colic to teething and didn't sleep through the night reliably until he was nearly two. He was high-needs and easily frustrated, and just seemed to cry more, sleep less and get into mischief more quickly than the other babies/toddlers in our play-group. I wouldn't describe him as a nightmare (I didn't sleep long enough to have nightmares, LOL), but he certainly needed every bit of what I had to give. Since the early days, he has grown...
Personally, I try to keep my 5.5 YO from getting too wound up in the grocery store, but only because he quickly reaches the point where his impulse control goes way down and I worry that he'll twirl around and knock a jar of spaghetti sauce off the shelf or something. Happy, loud kids don't bother me, but I can't safely let my own kid get too silly indoors.
My first cried a lot, too. He often had periods of time when he was just inconsolable, no matter what I tried. One thing I read that really made me feel better was that trying to comfort your baby (even just rocking or holding an inconsolable baby) can help keep the crying from escalating, keep your child from panicking, and help your child calm down sooner than if he/she was just put down to cry. So don't give up - you're still helping your child, even if she is...
It might be time to resort to bribery My son is also quite spirited and persistent, and a little bit of careful, temporary bribery can sometimes work wonders. 10 days of the promise of a Kinder Surprise at breakfast following a good night's sleep did more good than the advice of a half-dozen sleep solution books at our house. The benefit of breaking a persistent bad habit, IMHO, outweighs having junk-food in the morning. I can't remember exactly how we eliminated...
When my son was 2.5, we bought a Gameboy for me and DH because watching tv with a 2-year old in the room was impossible, and by the end of the day, we just wanted to sit and veg. By age 3, my kid was the one playing the Gameboy! He could work that before he could work a mouse. When he was 4.5 we got a Nintendo DS (I wanted to play the new Zelda game!), and using the stylus was wonderful for his fine motor skills. I think you can get games with some educational...
When my son was 2 (and still nursing), we were visiting my mother when he pulled a round tea-bag out of her pantry. "Here, Amma," he said, handing her the tea-bag, "for you boobie." He thought it was a nursing pad! We were leaving my mother's one day and she mentioned that later she was going to hit the grocery store. My son looked horrified and said, "No, Amma! No hitting!" When he was 2.5, I got a pair of jeans with a butterfly on the back pocket. The first...
When my son was 9 months old (and 18 months and 24 months and 36 months), I said that I was absolutely totally done after having one child. I disappointed many grandparents by saying so out loud, even. I had no major complaints about pregnancy and delivery, but caring for a "spirited" infant and toddler was something that took me completely by surprise. My son was bright, curious, full of energy...and just seemed to cry more, sleep less and get into mischief faster than...
My 5-year old has been asking what the baby will be for Hallowe'en. I told him that I'm going to dress the baby as a bunny - I'll put her in a pink sleeper and her bunny-ears hat and declare it a costume! My 5-YO has his ninja costume all ready to go. He tries it on almost every day. We've had to have a chat about jumping and spinning ninja-style right next to the baby's head...
It's a girl! Lillian Leslie M. was born at 12:29 am on Sept 19th weighing 7 lbs, 1 oz. She was born at home with the help of our two midwives, and, of course, her Daddy! I woke with contractions at 6 am on the 18th. Nothing too strong or regular(maybe 25 minutes apart?) but definitely "the real thing." By 4 pm contractions were still only 10 minutes apart, but strong. I was swaying, rocking and Aaaahhh-ing my way through each contraction. For a while I was...