or Connect

Posts by NellieKatz

Just wanted to share this with you guys. It looks AMAZING for kids (like mine) who like to learn at their own pace. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/9720231.stm   We've always been a fan of iTunes U, as well.
What a riot. Thanks for sharing this.  
You can learn alongside them. That's what I have done. I learned everything so long ago I forgot most of it anyway. :-)   But I am just now starting to become aware that the reason behind my having trouble conveying mathematical concepts to my son is that he is a right-brained learner and I grew up learning in the left-brained way (drilling, memorization, worksheets, etc). This means that we were sort of doomed from the start. I am now trying to get caught up on the...
As I read your posts I find myself thinking you might benefit from reading some books by John Holt, such as "How Children Learn" and "Teach Your Own." He sheds wonderful light on how children learn so very much on their own. It really takes the pressure off.    
I jokingly refer to the Well Trained Mind as a sort of dangerous drug for me. If I dare to pick it up, I start getting crazy. I want my kid to sit at a desk like someone from Waltons Mountain [see 1970's TV, "The Waltons"], eagerly and dutifully soaking up the classics. I start to get worried and inflict learning on him. Workbooks, assignments, schedules.   Here's the problem. He's not having ANY of it. We are unschoolers by his choice. On the one hand, when he was...
I agree with this. We've been having the same problem (with our son an unschooled only-child, age 9)   First, I just want to get it out there that "socialization" as usually described by school proponents, is highly overrated. In my opinion, that is. We have found that whenever we are out mixing with schooled kids, such as at the playground or museum or some other setting, we are shocked by their rudeness to each other and poor social skills. On the other hand we do have...
This is off-topic a little but I have to ask.....when you said "homeschooled (badly)" what did you mean? What do you wish your parents had done differently?    
I'm pretty sure that if you wrote a book, I'd buy it!   Thanks for all this helpful information.      
Some kids who are extra-sensitive actually do feel "hurt" by angry or loud voices. My son is like that. A certain level of anger or disapproval from a parent feels threatening and painful to them. So maybe your son is like that.   If your DH needs to grab your son's hand to prevent him hurting himself or another person, perhaps he can work on his tone. Being more firm (yet kind) rather than angry-sounding. Tell your DH that it's not him...it's that your son is more...
I find that as a homeschooler, *I* am the one who is curious all the time, sort of desperate to know if my kid is at "grade level" which of course is what I am supposedly not concerned with. I find myself asking questions of my non homeschooling friends about what their kids are doing. One time recently I did ask another friend about what her kid was doing in school, and I think she took it as a critique, or felt that I was judging her......because she was the type of...