or Connect

Posts by NellieKatz

Hi backtobasics,   I know this is sort of an old post but I just saw it and I wanted to say we here in Central Mass. have a strong homeschooling community and a strong vegan/vegetarian community too! And don't worry about the long winters. I think those might be a thing of the past due to climate change. I kept waiting for winter to really "happen" here this year and before you knew it, it was spring. I didn't believe it at first.            
I only have one child and bedtime has always been an issue. But can I ask you what does it mean "keep from having to run interference"?   Does it refer to the kids not getting along, or are they needing something else. Because (and I struggle with this too) it seems that no matter whether it's bedtime or some other time, a skill they need to learn is boundaries. Which means that at some point you are "off duty" and they need to solve their own problems. It would seem...
I had a similar experience, but I always just tell it as a funny story. My neighbor and I used to sit there nursing our babies and talking, and she said "wouldn't it be great to homeschool the kids; we could do it together, maybe create our own homeschool classes..." and that sort of thing. And I, exhausted and sleep-deprived as I was, would grimace and say "Oh no, as soon as he's old enough, he's going to school!"  LOL!! You know how that turned out. My friend ended up...
Wow! I did a little Googling on this subject ("children who are dreamers") and one mother's blog pointed me to this book called The Edison Trait: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0756751659/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=agrahom-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=0756751659   I am *SO* getting this book!
Modeling clay and trays of Moon Sand have been lifesavers around here for us.   With the modeling clay (ie. it never dries out), it seemed that whatever my son's passion was at the time, he would make that using clay. When he was into musical instruments, he spent hours making little tiny ones out of clay. Same with sea slugs, caterpillars, sea creatures and planets (cross sections are FUN with clay!)   Also, maybe he'd have fun with Magnetix sets....they don't...
I think that in the end, it has to just be a blend of approaches. Being sort of militant phonics wouldn't be good, but knowing phonics is good for getting a start in sounding out words you've never seen before. And you add to that your knowledge of the context or the surrounding pictures. Also there are going to be sight words that never sound-out phonetically. Which is totally fine. Plus there's the knowledge I mentioned of how there are many ways to make a single sound...
I came across this book at a yard sale or something, and really found it helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Children-Cant-Read-What-About/dp/0684831619   How can I explain this totally different approach....perhaps by sharing a quote found in one of the Amazon reviews:   "`If you teach a child that abstract squiggles on the page (letters) are 'real', and that these squiggles 'have' arbitrary noises (sounds), she won't understand what you're talking about. By...
That is a good perspective. I hadn't thought of it that way.     Also, I was about to chime in from our own experience that now that our DS(9) enjoys Minecraft, I have all kinds of time to myself! haha. Seriously, though, he's so absorbed in it, I can actually confidently start projects knowing that I won't get interrupted, which is huge. It wasn't always that way. And he visits a boy (13y.o. friend of the family) once a week who I pay to watch him, but they have fun...
I do worry about that, too, because in the school we're considering, he would be far away in a town where we don't know anyone. In contrast to the small, similarly-run school that existed near us for a while....in that case it was more of a community. We knew the people running it and we knew the kids.   In the Sudbury-style school we attended (before it, sadly, had to close) we knew the values of all the families in attendance and none of the kids there would have...
Well Peggy, there are a few other issues as I've set forth in previous posts. I do understand what you mean by the desire increasing if something's limited. However, I wouldn't say I "vilify" it, because I am the one who brought it into his life because of the positives that I saw in it, and still do. But he's only 9 years old so I can't leave him here alone to get anything done for the family. I can't shop, deliver customer orders, or bring him to things that he...