or Connect

Posts by NellieKatz

I fall prey to this all the time. I have come to learn that I have a scarcity mindset. i.e. "there is not enough...." (fill in the blank, usually with the word "time" or "money"). I have done a bit of reading and poking around, and I stumbled across Law of Attraction, which does have its share of hokey people promoting dubious ideas, but one thing that the Law of Attraction stuff did lead me to was the concept of focusing on what you DO have and what you DO love and what...
It's funny you should mention that. He has always had sand trays out (with vehicles in them too!) for him to play with. (Dried brown rice, too. And clumped-up flour. You name it.) In fact he's got a tray of Moon Sand out still. Unfortunately he wants to start drawing at midnight and I think, frankly, it's because I make such a big deal out of bedtime. I just wonder what would happen if I didn't say a word about it....I wonder if he'd start to listen to his own body...
You're right about the many directions, but I don't really have a choice sometimes. I have a highly spirited (crazed?) homeschooled 9 year old who won't go to bed and we live in such a small house, I am interrupted nearly constantly. Nothing has seemed to work thus far. He gets wound up, stays up late, the next day he is predictably overtired, which of course leads to less self-regulation and more intense wacky emotions and so on and so on.   But thanks for your...
Oh, Lillian J, I wish it were so. I had picked that video up from YOUR post but totally forgotten where I got it from! LOL!!!! Man, my brain is mush sometimes. (sigh)      
OK, my first reply got eaten. Let me try again. Here is a video that I came across the other day. I realize that we are not talking about school in this discussion, nor any particular country. However, it is always enlightening and interesting to see how other cultures deal with education, because I, too, (in my homeschooling) still tend to think in terms of the ways that we do things here in schools in the USA, and going against that can be quite scary and you can...
Tonight I told my husband about this (I had printed out the citizenship test) and started to quiz him on it just for fun. My son overheard, got all excited and started to join in, and actually knew a surprising number of them. Some, he got wrong and he said "It doesn't matter that I got them wrong; I'm adding to my education about politics."   Wow! I have had some real good conversations this week, prompted by issues raised right here on Mothering. Way cool.
This sort of thing infuriates me. Your child is not a robot who needs to be able to spit out facts on command. Only schools put that sort of artificial timetable on "learning." If she is to be educated, she needs to be able to (a) think and (b) have an intact love of learning, not to come to regard education as something that is "done to" her and will become the source of anxiety. OK I will get off my soapbox. How about...
This discussion reminds me of a young person I know who is unschooled; her mom took her & her siblings out of school when she realized that because of school, they didn't have enough time to read. Yes, you read that one right. The kids love to read and school was getting in the way!!   So this girl loves reading (as do her siblings) and she especially loves Shakespeare, I think....well now she is a young teen and she is taking a literary criticism class at a local...
It is called "The Practice of Poetry," by Robin Behn and Chase Twichell, subtitled "writing exercises from poets who teach"
Rumi, to answer your question, I loved it. And here's what I did. (I am so grateful to you for bringing this up!) I found it on the internet and emailed it to myself so I could read it on my iPhone as we went on a family trip today. So there I was, reading it aloud to my husband and son (my first time through the poem; I didn't know what to expect) as we drove down the road!   I loved it, and I need to read it again. One line caught in my throat as I read it...