or Connect

Posts by NellieKatz

There are so many ways to evaluate toys! (#1) will they play with them, (#2) will they harm my child? (i.e. lead paint, carcinogens in the soft plastics, etc and (#3), can I afford them? Not in that order of course. But seriously, we took a huge financial hit in order for me to stay home to raise and homeschool him, SO, yard sales and Freecycle have been our preferred place to get toys. We can spend very little this way, which is good, because sometimes you get it wrong...
Thanks for answering my thread!! It's nice to see someone in a very similar situation. To answer your question, we are quite lucky to have a very active homeschooling community in our area. There are online Yahoo Groups where activities, classes, etc. are posted. Also, there are local programs in various institutions like the Audubon Society, local botanical garden, music school, etc. One of the local moms even organized a homeschoolers' gym class at the local kids'...
I've got a 6-year old son whom I'm homeschooling, and he is (and will remain) our only child. I find that we are a rare breed! We've met some nice only-children over the past few years, as we've taken classes, like swimming, music, etc. But some of those kids ended up going on to public or private school, and in our homeschooling groups, most families have multiple kids, and even the ones who are only-children for a while soon change their status as several of the moms...
People see me out & about with my 6-year old son and ask him "Why aren't you in school?" Happens all the time. He usually says "I'm a homeschooler," but I'm thinking it might be more accurate to say 'I AM in school....I'm a homeschooler!" And the whole thing's so silly anyway. Here he is, 6 years old and thoroughly enjoying chemistry (HIS idea, not mine)....and if he were to go to public school, he technically wouldn't even be in first grade yet!! (due to birthday,...
A-hah, proving once again that old saying "Haste makes waste" -- thanks! I'll take a look over there. I just joined up this evening and hadn't yet looked around fully. thanks!
This sounds like my 6 year old. However, if I were to lift him up and physically remove him, he'd take a swing at me or pinch, bite, whatever. He has never liked being "man-handled" and, though this tendency will serve him well if a stranger tries to grab him, it's a problem for us. I am really on the fence right now, extremely confused. We've always been what we thought were fair parents. Attachment parents, not arbitrarily saying to do this & that, or bossing around,...
If you think being the mom of an Only child is lonely, try being a homeschooling mom of an Only! :-) I have a 6-year old son and since life is all about learning, I guess you could say we've been homeschooling since the beginning. We belong to various groups and have taken local classes here & there, and we've met varies Onlies along the way, but half the kids end up in the school system, and among the ones that go on to become homeschoolers, the ones that remain...