or Connect

Posts by YasaiMuraLife

I know your child - I have one too!  I'm reading "Living with the Active Alert Child" by Linda Budd right now to figure out how to deal with this child.  Get that book and do a search here on MDC for "active alert" and you'll pull up all sorts of info on parenting this type of child.   Good luck!
After quite a bit of trial and error, what works for us is to have the 4yo in the bedroom while his sister is taking her nap.  I keep some relatively quiet toys in the bedroom for him to play with - stuffed animals, non-motorized trains, and legos (though its REALLY loud when they are all dumped out at once.)  I also read a book while DD is falling asleep.  And we have a few stories on tape which my son can listen to at a preselected volume (taped to prevent from turning...
My kids aren't so wild about "plain" water, but they beg for "lemon water."  This is just water with a good squirt of lemon juice and a tiny, tiny bit of maple syrup.  It also works well with grapefruit or orange instead of the lemon.  This method helps them drink more liquid without relying on the milk alternatives too heavily.
There is a 2.75 year age gap between my two children.  When my DD was born, my DS cried just about every time he saw me - crying like his heart was broken.  It was a very difficult period.  He did this for a full five weeks.  After the five weeks, he just snapped out of it and turned back into a happy child.  He never acted out toward DD other than a few comments about sending her away.   See if your DD can be involved with caring for your newborn - maybe fetching...
  This brought tears to my eyes.  You have a good husband who wants to do the right thing.  Best of luck to your family.  
Hi, I've been gearing up to start homeschooling my son in the next few months or so, and I chose Enki.  I never got to see the actual curriculum for OM or Enki.  After reading the Foundation Guides, the Enki philosophy just connected really well.  I took the plunge and purchased the K curriculum and haven't been disappointed.  Yup, its a lot of materials.  But that is also why I purchased it many months before needing to use it.  This way, I can take the Enki materials...
Sadly, I was quite amused by OP's MIL descriptions - I could just SEE her so clearly!    Since its the Bay Area, surely there are discussions/lectures/films happening that might help you address this with your MIL.  You two could even go together.  This might open up ways for someone else to lay the groundwork and you figure out how to properly insert your particular concerns.  I suspect that once her eyes are truly opened, she'll take it seriously and work hard to...
I think that I'll second much of what 47chromosomes said.  I live in Eureka, but go to the North Country Clinic in Arcata.  I used them with my daughter's natural birth at Mad River Hospital.  I highly recommend both.   At the NCC, they have a "doula binder" which you can look through to see who you might be interested in contacting.  Unfortunately, I don't think it is online.  If you aren't able to visit before moving, you might be able to contact Kate Maguire at...
It is hard to cut foods out of your diet, especially well loved foods.  Until you develop new ways of eating, you just keep missing the old.  So, I would spend some time trying to develop a few new recipe favorites.  Then you have something to look forward to in the grocery store or when planning meals.   With the tamari - there is a chickpea miso (no soy at all) that I've been using lately.  I don't actually like the miso soup that it makes, but it is delicious used...
Ooops - somehow I missed a bunch of posts before posting my response!  So after reading the additional posts you (OP) wrote, I'd add in that it sounds like you really are doing a heck of a lot of togetherness already.  Maybe just see if keeping the baby happy while DS is falling asleep in the same room would work?  Talking to your son about the situation may help - something like telling him that you are there while he falls asleep, and that the baby might fuss, but he...