or Connect

Posts by thursday2

We fought like crazy over our first HB with Anthem PPO, and are now fighting again...  Since the rules are different in every state, I'm not much help, but am chiming in to say: 1) itemize your bill, don't do global.  At least for us in CA, after multiple phone calls trying to get more money the first time around, I got one woman at Customer Service who told me on the sly that they don't put Global and Surgery in two different fields; that is, they reimburse "usual and...
I was worried about this when DS was born because I'm not the cleanest of people and not that confrontational for that kind of thing - I was worried people would just assume I was "cool with it" and I would be considered rude for piping up.  To my relief and surprise, no one took offense when I asked them to wash their hands first, and at the first party-type thing we went to where someone wanted to pass him around, it was surprisingly easy to say, "Do you mind washing...
My DS was born at 10 pm - MWs helped me shower while they cleaned up, and that night's sleep/the next morning all peaceful and quiet is one of the greatest memories of my life.  Friends "dropped by" to see the new babe around 3 pm the next afternoon, and because we live about an hour away from anyone and it was rush hour traffic time, they all overstayed their welcomes and didn't leave until about 8 pm, despite the sign on the door from the MWs telling people not to stay...
Ours is in the mid-$4000 range for everything, and you can pay as you go, but they require full payment by 36 weeks.  No cash discount or anything, but they will prorate for the missed office visits if you come to them later in the PG.  All my labs have gone directly to my insurance, but my insurance is being a little b**ch about paying for the MW, so best case scenario we'll get back close to $1000; worst case, nothing.  We have Anthem PPO.  Ironically, we chose PPO...
Not sure if this is the right forum or not, so mods feel free to move...   But I am STRESSED about the possibility of sending DS to preschool or similar.  He just turned 2 and LOVES other kids - the nanny/babysitter we use once a week or so usually has other clients she brings him to, when the neighbor kids are playing he always wants to join in, he gets upset when it's time to leave the park and asks, "more babies??" (anyone under Adult Age is a...
Thanks for the replies!  If anyone else has any hints or suggestions, I'd love to hear them, but we've been trying something this week that has seemed to be working in terms of the hitting, so I thought I'd update for those in the same boat.  When I would catch his hands before I would follow it with "We don't hit!" "No!" "That hurts Mommy!" or some variation, and I would hold on until he seemed to be a little calmer or until I worried about bruising him - inevitably, as...
With my first, I went to Goodwill and bought 3 or 4 old men's button up dress shirts - they were a godsend.  I washed them a few times on hot to make them extra soft, labored in the most comfortable one, and wore nothing but them and underwear for the next week.  When people came by, I MIGHT have put on pajama pants...  Since they were button-up, they were very easy access for breastfeeding, belly checks, etc. but when people came over, I could skip a button or two and...
Oh, meant to add: I think it's easier to say penis because it's not as harsh.  I feel about the word "dick" the same as I do about "vulva."  It's a harsh word; I don't like it.  The OP was mocked for her not liking the sounds, but I agree.  I'm big on words and sounds, and I don't like V words for the most part - when looking at baby names, we skipped the V chapters entirely because I know how much I don't like them, so it's not do completely with anatomy, or gender...
I don't like cutesy terms either, btw, but I don't think it's necessary for me to work out my issues via my daughter.  *shrugs* Not accusing anyone else of that, it's just how I feel about it.  Some of my issues I know (SA survivor, religious upbringing, mom still won't even say "private parts" despite being married to a doctor - she just gestures and makes horrible faces), some are societal influences having to do with feminism, etc....and the rest I don't really care. ...
It has seemed to me that he waits a long time to try things but by the time he does he's mature enough that he immediately catches up to the age appropriate level.   This!  Or at least it's what I've been telling myself.   DS turns 2 this week - didn't even stand up until almost a year, didn't walk until...14 or 15 months?  Maybe even later?  I can't believe I can't remember now...  He only said maybe 3 words when he was "supposed" to be able to...