or Connect

Posts by thursday2

Piggybacking on this thread to ask - what about gap coverage for CNMs, etc.?   We were denied gap coverage last time because they did cover one CNM (hospital-based only) but now they have none in their network - is there a law that says they must cover all types of practitioners or something similar?  I thought I had read about it, but now I can't find it...We're in CA with a PPO.
Our MWs provided a birth kit with chux pads, medical equipment (the stuff they'd need, and also peri bottles, etc.) and newborn cap.  Otherwise, if I recall correctly we needed: -a second set of sheets for birthing on (thrift store - the queen size were $10, the mismatched king were $3...we bought the king and saved some money   My only regret is that I got really eked out by what had occurred on those sheets and actually made my MWs throw them in the garbage instead...
We had something similar happen with our 19-month old scraping his knee - he tripped at the park and really scraped it up, lots of blood, and it didn't heal right away.  We put bacitracin and bandaids on it for almost a week, and for the next six weeks or so he was constantly touching his knee and saying "knee" and sometimes "ow?" as if he wasn't sure, especially when he was on the potty (I imagine since that's when we would usually change the bandaid).  It's been almost...
    I didn't think we'd want any pockets/AIOs just because they were so expensive, but they've been really invaluable - we bought 6 BG 3.0s (before the changed the design) and he was able to wear them from about 3 months on - he's 21 months now and still wearing them just fine, so they last.  We still prefer prefolds for quickness, cheapness, etc., but whenever he's left with anyone other than us, we leave them the pockets.  I'm amazed at how confused everyone gets with...
Just wanted to add: you do a lot with your daughter, but do you ever do any of it alone any more?  I'm the youngest of 5 kids, and my oldest brother, who was an angel as a baby, became a terror at about 2 when the next kid up got mobile.  Literally a terror.  He threatened to kill him, quite graphically, more than once, to the point where my parents took him to therapy.  Being the youngest I don't know all that was involved or how it was solved, etc., but I do know that...
DON'T get "Just Like Me": http://www.amazon.com/Just-Like-Me-Marjorie-Newman/dp/B001G8WIZA/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333817303&sr=1-4   Looking for the same thing (books for olders), we got it from the library and it's very, very negative - unfortunately, my son loved the pictures, so he kept picking it up and saying "Baby!"  We ended up changing the words every time we read it until we could get to the library to return it.    
I still struggle with whether or not it's "wrong" (raised Catholic), but it's definitely something that makes me incredibly uncomfortable to acknowledge - I don't even like to think about DH doing it, and I'm 5 mo PG with a kinda rough 1st trimester in which there was very little sex, so...you know...I can do the math...   At this age in particular, though, I don't want to create negativity around it.  I don't EVER want to create negativity around it, frankly, but since I...
Thanks for the replies, everyone!  I have no idea why my doc said not to carry him anymore other than that PG women aren't supposed to lift anything heavier than 20 lbs (this is what she said).  I feel like women have been having multiple children for all time, and somebody had to pick 'em up while pregnant...  I didn't want to ignore her advice out of hat, but it seemed weird to me too, or at least unrealistic.  I guess she was just practicing a little CYA medicine...
I lobbied Anthem for more coverage/in-network/continuity of care/all sorts of things for over a year after the birth.  End result: they reimbursed based on out-of-network, despite various claims, grievances, what have you that IMO should have made them cover more.  They reimburse based on THEIR estimate of charges, not real costs, by the way.  Anthem considers a birth to cost about $2000, regardless of what your MW charges.  I will say, though, at least in our...
I think your story is such a perfect example of what birth should be - honestly!  You made decisions based on your research and instincts, struggled, did everything possible to have the birth you planned, but you also had the foresight, judgment, and support to be able to know when you needed medical intervention - and you did need medical intervention.  As wonderful and beautiful and miraculous as birth CAN be, birth can also be a frightening, painful, even fatal...